1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Art Being Pushed Out Of Our National Curriculum

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by lisamarie79, Feb 9, 2012.

1. My Dad gave me his advice when choosing my 'options' subjects in year 9 many moons ago, that Art was "a waste of time, and I'd never get a 'good' job doing it", so I rebelled and studied it anyway!
    Now at the age of 32, having studied a degree in Education and currently studying an MA in Education, and had a major interest in photography for the past 5 years...have decided to write a paper on the relationship between what the general public think about studying art, and how it relates to todays society. Que Ken Robinson's talks on the TED website, which he talks about the importance of Art in our school system.
    My thoughts are surrounding the way education was constructed...to prepare our children for the working world, and the many skills Art classes provide, not only on a personal level through imagination and problem solving, but to relationships to other curriculum subjects ie. exploring historic artefacts and developing pieces of Art surrounding it. And is Art relevant to todays working world ie, digital art, web page construct etc...
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. My Dad gave me his advice when choosing my 'options' subjects in year 9 many moons ago, that Art was "a waste of time, and I'd never get a 'good' job doing it", so I rebelled and studied it anyway!
    Now at the age of 32, having studied a degree in Education and currently studying an MA in Education, and had a major interest in photography for the past 5 years...have decided to write a paper on the relationship between what the general public think about studying art, and how it relates to todays society. Que Ken Robinson's talks on the TED website, which he talks about the importance of Art in our school system.
    My thoughts are surrounding the way education was constructed...to prepare our children for the working world, and the many skills Art classes provide, not only on a personal level through imagination and problem solving, but to relationships to other curriculum subjects ie. exploring historic artefacts and developing pieces of Art surrounding it. And is Art relevant to todays working world ie, digital art, web page construct etc...
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?

3. If you want to connect clay to other subject areas look no further than this fantastic readable book by Suzanne Staubach called Clay: the History and Evolution of Humankind's Relationship with Earth's Most primal Element.
    Clay can be used to look at materials in science: water evaporation and heat: controlled studies can be done.
    The most important element though is the way looking at art can develop thought processes: to take risks, to think outside of the box...

4. Lucieb40

Lucieb40 New commenter

All I can say is that without 'ART' we would have no idea about our past...and in most cases history relies on the visual discovery to help build information.
    For example:Cave paintings, rock sculptures, jewellery, printing...every thing in every day life is based upon art in some way even the clothes we wear and the products we buy.
    Visuals are easier to read for people from across the world...

Hope this personal response helps...its something I use with all of my students to engage them and get them thinking outside the box.