1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone willing to look over my Personal Statement for CV?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by daydreamer86, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Hello. I posted on Personal about the order of a CV and another poster mentioned posting on this forum for advice from Theo but I notice he is on holiday until September so, instead, I was wondering if somebody would be able to look over my Personal Statement for my CV. It's very short but I'm not sure whether it is relevant as I'm not very good at talking positively about myself and I don't want it to sound stilted or, alternatively, too arrogant. If someone is willing to look over it, I will post it here.

2. I would not post it on open forum if I were you. Unfortunately, some people do not read and post with good intentions but instead have the motive of releasing their hatred through mockery and deprication of others. If someone replies, send it to them as a private message. I would happily read it and give you constructive criticism. I am just a teacher but it is always good to have other eyes give your writing a read over. Send me a PM.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Goodness! That is not generally true on the TES. I've not seen it towards people genuinely asking for help.
    Mind you, I would also agree that posting statements on a public forum is probably not the best idea.

I'm not quite sure why you are writing a CV. Teaching jobs do not generally need them, but use application forms. some independent schools ask for CVs, but state schools do not.

If you are asking for advice regarding a general application statement, then you need to stop writing it as it will be useless to you in terms of getting a teaching job. You will need, especially in this highly competitive era, an application that is tailor made to each and every individual school you apply to. One that addresses their needs and wants and shows you have exactly what they are looking for. A general application will not do.

If you look at the top of this board, there are threads started by Theo with lots of links to click on with excellent advice. If you read those you will get a better idea of what you need for your applications and then probably won't want anyone to read yours as it will be so fab you won't want to risk them stealing it!

4. I have seen people be both insulting and just plain rude to people who are just looking for help so I am going to have to disagree with you. By the way, I never said it was a general thing. You are correct it is not a general thing. But it is a thing done here on occasion by a very ugly minority. I would not want the op to subject himself to it. But that really is not the point of this thread. Let us just settle with you are entitled to your opinion and I to mine. But certainly, if he writes something unique and good, he does not want it to be widely posted as you said and take the risk of it being copied.

5. Thanks guys. I did have a friend from TES look over it on Facebook via private message but I will send it to the two of you on here as well as it's always best to have a few different opinions on it. Twolegsbaad, I am actually female but I take your point about possible copying. To the person (Minnieminx) who questioned writing a CV, although I work in a school at the moment, the field is social care (it's a residential special school) and so I have written a CV in case I see any attractive jobs outside education that require them, such as the adult care sector.

6. Is this true for support jobs as well such as LSAs? I don't have a teaching qualification and, although I would ideally like to be a teacher in a SEN school, I cannot afford to fund myself through a PGCE but I do like working in education. My ideal job is probation but, apparently, at the moment, there is a recruitment freeze and, for someone with a related degree, like mine is, you need to do a 10 month diploma which again will probably cost a lot so, in the meantime, I am looking for support jobs, ideally in education but outside education as well if there is nothing else available, as the shift patterns in my current job are exhausting.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes, generally speaking it is the case. Have a look on your LA website, they will be advertising LSA/TAjobs pretty soon, if not already, for September. They will possibly allow you to apply online or via a downloadable form.

You still need to write your application perfectly for the school. A page or two as an application statement for a TA post is normal where I live. So a paragraph, as you might have on a CV, will not work.

Best of Luck

8. OK thanks for the advice, Minnieminx.

9. OK thank you for the advice, Minnieminx.