1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone watching the Oscar Awards tonight?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Feb 26, 2012.

1. I think I'll stay up, but suspect I'll flake out. I love the Oscars - love the red carpet, love the OTT reactions, love the fixed smiles of the losers. I suppose The Artist will win the most awards...

2. I think I'll stay up, but suspect I'll flake out. I love the Oscars - love the red carpet, love the OTT reactions, love the fixed smiles of the losers. I suppose The Artist will win the most awards...

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Sorry, I think you will be on your own [​IMG]

4. Rock and/or roll.

5. Probably not but I may well.
    If I start watching I usually get hooked.

6. I'm going to try. I usually stay awake for the first two awards, fall asleep and then wake up in time for the best picture award!

7. I've got a (non-teacher) friend who has booked tomorrow off work to allow them to stay up all night to watch them. I thinkThe Artist was wonderful but really loved My Week With Marilyn and liked Meryl Streep in The Iron Lady too so think they will all be winners.

8. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I'm currently sitting through all the red carpet schmaltzing on E! and Sky Movies. Doubt I will be able to stay awake for the whole ceremony. I usually wake up in time for the last two awards.
    If I wasn't so desperate for supply work I would have told my agencies that I was busy tomorrow. Damn, could have cracked open the cava by now!

9. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

The highlights are on Sky Living on Monday night at 10 - I will probably watch the beginning of that but even 11.30 is a bit late for a school night for me - may have to record it.

I was hoping for more recognition for Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy at the Baftas - suppose it's got no chance at the Oscars. Pity because it was brilliant.

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

So many brilliant films get overlooked at the Oscars every year that I can't take it seriously. It's nothing more than a back-slapping exercise.
    As for all that nonsense about the dresses. Please.

11. I missed it last night as I don't have the right tv channels... boo.

I sometimes have simple tastes, darling. I like looking at nice dresses. If you don't like it, tough titty.

12. Realised that I didn't even mention dresses in my OP. You must have been reading my mind.

13. Yup...celebrities posing and congratulating each other... I can't bear these 'look at me' luvvie-fests....and their pithy words...and posing on the red carpet. Ugh. Hugely horrible. There are so many of them now and all the usual faces turn up to pose, as well as an enormous number of hangers-on who wanted to be spotted. All those sycophantic American commentators too... I have even become sick of seeing Brad Pitt and George Clooney in evening dress.
    As for the dresses, most of the papers feature the best and worse the next day. That'll do for me. The awards? They seem to be secondary....

14. That's why I love it!! Highlights for me include Gwyneth in her pink meringue making a show of herself when she won hers... Halle Berry losing the plot with hers. *sighs with happiness*
    I love the schmaltz of it all. I also think it's quite sweet how American BAFTA winners try to tone down their natural OTT cheesiness for the British awards.