1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone using turmeric? How do you take it and what it the impact?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by snitzelvonkrumm, May 7, 2018.

1. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

I have some joint pains. It would seem as soon as I take turmeric there is a dramatic improvement that lasts for days. I use powdered turmeric, add fresh black pepper and mix it with juice or water. I have read that mixing it with olive oil increases the potency. Initially, I used fresh turmeric and grated it; but this was very messy, as the colour is so strong.
    I have seen capsules advertised but I assume these are not as cost effective.
    I am interested to hear from others who have had similar experiences or if you have tried it and it has not helped.

2. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Both my mother and sister take turmeric capsules for arthritis. Both have said that ti really helps but make sure you take them with food if you try these as they can repeat on you. Holland and Barrett always have good deals if you're worried about the cost.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Do you just get normal turmeric or does it have to be a special kind?

snitzelvonkrumm and ruthwill500 like this.
  4. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

Can you explain the use of black pepper with the turmeric?

rideemcowboy and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  5. snitzelvonkrumm

I buy turmeric powder/ground turmeric at the supermarket. I have purchased it in root form, similar to ginger, but I found it hard work to grate it smooth enough to digest and the colour can get everywhere. I find the powder very effective. But it is not a special turmeric.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

How much powder/black pepper for what ration of liquid do you use?

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  7. snitzelvonkrumm

I do not know the science but articles I have read state that the absorption rate, when taken with black pepper, is multiplied significantly.

rideemcowboy and ruthwill500 like this.
  8. snitzelvonkrumm

I use one teaspoon of turmeric and 3 or 4 turns on the pepper grinder. Certainly, no science in my method but it seems to be working.
    I posted here because it seems to have genuine power as an anti-inflammatory but I would like to learn more. I see adverts for capsules and supplements, but taking it in this simplistic raw form seems to do the trick. I am very interested in the experiences others are having; comments from those who might understand the science.

9. snitzelvonkrumm

I mix the above in a standard glass of juice and follow up with another plain glass to cleanse the taste.

10. ruthwill500

I read that the cooking process can also have a positive impact on absorption. Do you use in cooking? I cannot imagine it enhancing the flavour of food?

11. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

My husband has been taking them for about three weeks now. Turmeric and black pepper tablets, one a day purchased on Internet. Recommended originally by friend of friend who has been doing an intensive nutrition course over the last couple of years.

Friend’s husband suddenly realised one day after taking them for a couple of months that he could bend his bad knee easily which was not possible previously.

My husband has had knee problems for a few years now so we are experimenting. Cannot do any harm. Consultant reluctant to operate as he is only 62 and it could need doing again in a few years. Waiting for results. In the meantime, his worst knee keeps ‘giving out’. Physio says he needs to build up the supporting muscles so has daily exercises to do.

Also got son taking the tablets. Just had a second serious knee injury and seeing a consultant for assessment tomorrow. Hoping he doesn’t need another op. Again, maybe the tabs will help.

12. snitzelvonkrumm

Good luck with the family knees. Please keep us informed on how the turmiric works. Most people seem to use the capsules. Certainly far more convenient to use but I wonder if there is any research on the effectiveness. Clearly, I am digesting greater quantities but to what effect?

13. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Thanks. Will let you know if we see any improvement in a few weeks.

The man who serviced the boiler is going to try some. Says his mum takes powdered turmeric every day and says it helps her arthritis.

frangipani123 and rideemcowboy like this.
  14. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

rideemcowboy likes this.
  15. snitzelvonkrumm

16. ruthwill500

My husband has recently started following your suggestion of turmeric and pepper and he has been amazed by the immediate relief in his joints.

frangipani123 and rideemcowboy like this.
  17. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

too early really for me to say how effective they are, but I can report that i have had no side affects at all (digestive issues are apparently very common)

rideemcowboy likes this.
  18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've just started today. The taste is not bad. Let's see if it has any effect.

19. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

Would you recommend the tablets or mixing up the turmeric with pepper to gain the best effect?

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Just take it in tablet form.
    It's yuk to drink,
    and add to cooking.............is great in curries, stews, chinese food...........anything really!