1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone using Oxbox to support the Edexcel Modular 2010 course?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Is it me or are some of the topics in the scheme of work and textbooks in the wrong unit?

For instance, although I've not got any of the texts to hand, I'm pretty sure that they have surds in unit three, whilst I've just checked the spec which says these are tested in unit two. I'm almost 100% that these aren't the only discrepancies.

2. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

When constructing our SoW, I followed the textbooks quite closely in terms of their interpretation of what goes where. Edexcel's 'exempification' was next to useless. It became immediately clear than none of the textbooks could agree on what went where either. Small wonder since they all seemed to have been published before the scheme was even ratified by QCA.
    I surmised that the Pearson would probably be the most accurate - accurate only since this was the one written by the same Pledger and Co who basically wrote the SoW.
    FWIW, we don't use any of the 2010 books/published schemes, but I do have 'dept library' copies of them all, most kindly donated by the various publishing houses.

3. Thanks for your reply Googol. I've inherited a department which is using the Oxbox and textbooks as it's scheme of work. I'm having a bit of a Sunday night panic. Do you just work from the Spec B pdf then?

4. googolplex

To be honest, I'm following my nose with this one, a bit. Most of Unit 1 and Unit 2 is pretty predictable. When teaching Unit 1 first, I taught quite a bit of Unit 2 anyway, but I'm keeping a close eye on the first few papers before we do Unit 2 in November. I'm also looking at these Pearson offerings.
    In answer to your question, yes, we constructed our scheme directly from the edexcel Spec. However, this is a question of interpretation and that could go anywhere!

5. Thanks for your time and thoughts googol... food for thought.

6. Interesting to hear that people are having the same issues with Edexcel as we have had with AQA textbooks. We bought the AQA 'approved' ones and they do a lot of non-calculator material in the unit one book when the exam for that is calculator. Seems a real mix up in a lot of other places too. We got the books because we had survived on old copies of Raynor Intermediate but the 'investment' has been one we have regretted.

On the point of Oxbox, how are people finding it? We were offered it as part of an add-on for our KS3 textbooks but at the time declined. We have no problem with buying (or trying to afford) resources if they are any good but Oxbox looked like a bit of a proprietary system that we would be at the mercy of the publishers to continue to support.

7. I lost what what went where quite a long time back and (anecdotally) feel the linear suits the kids more. Your planning can be far more structured and sequentual.
    I have the edexcel produced materials and struggle to differentiate between where things fit in especially with the idea of units being sat before others.
    Not tried the oxbox stuff but do rate their A level materials compared to the Pledger ones

8. googolplex

Off topic, I know, but quite how APP can be managed by a 'box' is quite beyond me. Mike Ollerton wrote an interesting article on this sort of thing in MT220. Didn't agree with all he had to say, but the gist of it is that APP is not some sort of summative assessment process, which is what most schools who say they have APP sorted seem to have done. I imagine that Ox Box must do something similar - give students some sort of test and use the scores to assess their progress. Pretty much pointless...

9. I agree totally with you Googolplex on the topic of APP being 'done' by Oxbox/MyMaths/almost all the others. We have had the discussion on here quite a few times and I've tried to convey the implementation of APP my school has adopted in terms of it being formative assessment.