1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone sucessfully using EYFS in Year1 ?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by andalucia, Jan 20, 2012.

1. My last year Reception class were a very immature group and I sent them up to Yr1 with trepidation; their learning diaries; and heaps of suggestions on how to help for the Yr1 teacher as well as time spent helping her to arrange the classroom into workshop areas.
    Unfortunately she is finding it difficult to work both EYFS and Yr1 curriculum and has basically just given up on EYFS. however these children are still all simply 'working towards level 1c'
    I want to help - and my head wants me to too. Has anyone got any useful advice or suggestions for books to read or websites to visit?
    It may not be in time for this year but perhaps we can get it right for next ....

2. My last year Reception class were a very immature group and I sent them up to Yr1 with trepidation; their learning diaries; and heaps of suggestions on how to help for the Yr1 teacher as well as time spent helping her to arrange the classroom into workshop areas.
    Unfortunately she is finding it difficult to work both EYFS and Yr1 curriculum and has basically just given up on EYFS. however these children are still all simply 'working towards level 1c'
    I want to help - and my head wants me to too. Has anyone got any useful advice or suggestions for books to read or websites to visit?
    It may not be in time for this year but perhaps we can get it right for next ....

3. We teach the Y1 curriculum and EYFS together as we have mixed age Rec-Y1 classes. It works really well. The classrooms are set up in workshop areas but we have challenges in them for the Y1s linked to learning objectives from the Y1 curriculum. For example, the children have been really interested in aliens and we're doing character description at the minute so in the writing area, we have character profile formats, in one of the tuffspots, we have alien body pieces, whiteboards and adjective cards. In the dough area, we have challenge cards for Y1 to make an alien with say, 2 heads and 6 eyes. How can they share out the eyes? etc. Rec children can still access these areas at their level, but the Y1s can be challenged and meet objectives through play. We still have learning journals for Y1 and use them to assess, particularly in the first term. I know there are certain things that you have to cover in KS1, but nobdy says you can't cover it in a way that meets the needs of children still working towards level 1c (ie in EYFS stlye). We still have a child initiated way of doing things and work with a group while the rest are accessing the workshop areas. I can't think of anything for your Y1 teacher to read but just thinking aboutbthe way we organise our time and rooms for Rec and then applying the same principles to different content for Y1 really worked for us. Sorry I can't be any more help or offer anything specific.

4. There is a really useful book called ,i think, meeting the challenge in year 1.

5. Did my MA dissertation on just this last year and now we have implemented a system in year 1 that provides for all the children using EYFS philosphy for those who need it. I found this book by Julie Fisher (Moving on to Key Stage 1) very easy to read and quite helpful:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moving-Key-Stage-Julie-Fisher/dp/0335238475
    Good luck

6. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I have ordered a Sally Featherstone book and looked at some cross phase planning but just wanted to ask about assessment. Do you continue to assess using profile until they achieve all 8 points and then onto NC levels or do you at any point use P scales?

7. If a child has achieved 6 points on the FSP by the end of FS, that is classed as 'expected attainment' and they move onto NC straight from that. (They don't have to achieve all 8 or 9 points on the FSP). If they've achieved lass than 6 points on the FSP, we continue to assess them using the FSP for the first term of Y1 at least.

8. I have mixed age class and base it around the FS curriculum areas. It works really well. The Y1 children can still be challenged but they still they still get all the play based learning of EYFS. It also means that some reception children can take part in activities wiht them when they are ready. This week lots of them were writing addition sums just because they wanted to and had been exposed to it. I think that working around the EYFS principles provides a more interesting and child centred environment for all the children. i do make sure that I use Y1 objectives within planning though in order to endure progression and diferentiation.
    hope that helps

9. All of your ideas sound really good. I am moving out of EYFS after Easter into Y2, then will be moving into Y1 in September. I want to take my knowledge of EYFS into year one to make their learning experience much more enjoyable. I find our current year 1 is very formal and a lot of the children weren't ready for this as soon as September came around. As I am taking over as KS1 leader I really want to inject EYFS ethos into KS1 and feel I can do this more from a Year 1 teacher's point of view :)
    I have always been under the impression that Y1 should be working on ELGs until they have achieved all 9, but I often wondered why when the chidlren 'only need' 6 points to achieve GLD, so it's good to know that the children can work from Y1 curriculum if they achieve GLD. I have also been recommended the Julie Fisher book and have just ordered it. Do you know if there is any more information that I could read about to help transition from FS to Y1. I am thinking that having areas of learning in Y1 will help with this too, and I like the idea of calling them workshops.
    Thanks