1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone planning to switch to IGCSE next year for English Literature?

Discussion in 'English' started by ArthurDent, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Very tempted for the top sets but I suspect there won't be any other takers in the faculty. WJEC would be my board of choice as we are currently with them for everything else but I haven't gone too far into it yet.

2. I think WJEC are still awaiting accreditation for their IGCSEs. That's our problem...

3. Yes, the stuff has been submitted. However, I don't think there will be many changes to what they are proposing.

4. I teach at an International school and we do Edexcel IGCSE for English and English Literature. The Literature part is really thin on content - we had to pad it out for our top sets. It has one novel, and one 20th century drama text for the 1hr 45min exam and one piece of coursework worth 40% based on a study of SIX poems. It doesn't stretch the more able at all, and the coursework is more hassle than it's worth!
    Hope that helps...

5. manc

manc New commenter

Hassle???
    Try the GCSE before you complain.

6. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

We are doing AQA IGCSE Lang and Lit - a very enjoyable course with lots of freedom. Only finished the first year of it, but so far, so good.

7. We are switching to Edexcel certificate. Currently doing WJEC GCSE. Still thinking about whether to do this with all groups or Edexcel English with lower ability students. Any advice from those already doing it?

8. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

We are thinking of switching to the EdExcel IGCSE for state schools from Sept, but keeping the current Single OCR English award, so that students in the middle can drop Lit and still meet the NC requirements.
    So far, it seems like less content, the texts look decent, and there would be no cwk/CA requirement. I got some willing Y11s to sit the unseen lit section of the exam and they felt it was far preferable to do that than to learn more content, saying it crosses over with the Unseen Media Lang paper nicely.
    Any thoughts anyone? I'm looking for the catch...