1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone planning any work around the riots?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Spugs21, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Spugs21

Spugs21 New commenter

Yeah- you're probably right- let's just ignore the whole situation! That's clearly much better than educating society about the effects of it!

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Primary school? I don't know... what are they going to learn? That if they want flash trainers for nothing, they can have them? The latest phone can be theirs if they smash the right windows?
    Burn down buildings that withstood the Blitz (note cross-curricular History link there...) if the notion takes them?
    They are not going to go to jail, no matter what they do?
    Is it worth drawing their attention to this?
    Or should we stick with Goodnight Mr Tom and Michael Morpurgo, and, of course, the sainted Roald Dahl?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well generally ignoring the bad behaviour and making a huge fuss about the good works for me in class, so why not extend it to teaching as well.

Look at all the good things that have happened over the summer and use that to teach if you need current affairs.

If you must use the riots as a teaching aid, then perhaps concentrate only on the cleaning up and how FB etc were used for the greater good and enabled people to help. The dignity and lack of revenge from the families in Birmingham might also be a good talking point in PSHCE if you must use the riots.

I will have a class of 7 year olds, if someone told me I HAD to teach using the riots I would use the words of a little girl I saw on breakfast news "Something bad happened in London and I came with my mum to help clean it up." Sounds quite sufficient detail to me.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

I think the issues are way too complicated and way too political.
    I would go down the circle time route if the children brought the subject up but otherwise I would steer clear.

5. Hi, I am in year six too and I am going to be teaching a circle time about the riots. I will not be condoning their behavious but instead focusing on the clean up after the riots. We will be discussing why it is wrong but then looking at community spirit to say why actually Manchester is great!