1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone finding?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Happyregardless, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Okay this might also be flagged as 'duplicate post' as I also posted it in 'workplace dilemmas' as it's to do with expectations and teacher workoad but is also in the context of tutoring too, so posting it here

Is anyone finding the whole emphasis and onus of society is changing in these times, in regards to teaching and learning online?

I speak after an online lesson where the pupil was eating Monster Munch for breakfast, then spent a considerable amount of time distracted and brushing crumbs off of her chair. ( but does seem to have ADHD tendencies) Producing a piece of year 6 writing then turned into her looking up facts on Wiki and telling me what to type. Following the lesson ( in attempt to present a credible piece of writing to parents/give lesson feedback) I spend another hour, proofreading, editing and updating her work for her. In a 'normal class' you would probably build this up over a series of lessons maybe over a week, so perhaps it's my own fault for trying to complete a finished piece of work in one lesson. I mentioned this in the lesson feedback email to parent so it will be interesting to see what feedback I get.

Some children, even the polite. well behaved, considerate ones I teach, have been presenting as lazy, half asleep, eating all sorts ( no not the liquorice kind) but all kinds of food whilst I'm teaching them online as if I should wear a box on my head to become a pseudo TV or as if I am some sort of entertaining live Utube video/cinema? Or conversely, so 'overscheduled' that " No I haven't been able to do your homework, as I've had x,y,z's homework to do this week - one child with an 8 minute timer/buzzer to have a break between lessons that spanned from about 8am till 6pm?

Where is the personal responsibility? For one online group I teach online, to have records of worksheets completed etc, I end up downloading these from their school website, filling these in before the lesson, so I then have a completed copy of work to email to parents following each lesson, as any annotation on Zoom documents is erased. Therefore the children do work through subject matter with me and I check their understanding of this, but, they often don't have the worksheet in front of them or haven't had a go at set work - it just seems increasingly more that the onus is being put on the teacher rather than the pupil?

I this just something I am beating myself over the head with trying to be concientious, maybe overconcientous, or what have others found?

The 'entitlement attitude' seems to present like "Everything is up to the teacher, they will do it for me and if they don't it's their fault I'm not at the level I need to be/pass the exam I need to then we will blame them. More and more in the news and elsewhere too, communities' attitudes towards teachers/schools are turning this way, and of course the government encourages this. It's all too easy as a collective to dump everything on a group of professionals, but when was the last time you blamed a doctor because you weren't eating healthily or exercising?

What do you do as tutors to put more of the onus on the pupil when tutoring, rather than 'doing the work for them' as a tutor and how do you implement this during the change to online tutoring?
    What to do if pupils say they have 'too much homework' from other sources? etc

Kandahar likes this.
  2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

No I have never encountered anything like you describe. All my pupils seem keen to engage. I think they are probably older than yours, year 10 and year 12. Maybe that makes a difference.

Happyregardless likes this.
  3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

When it's extra tuition for GCSE I usually show them the mark scheme. They can then see what they need for each grade.
    When I've encountered laziness I've spoken to parents.

Happyregardless likes this.
  4. Happyregardless

Gainly they are all keen to engage. I am blessed to tutor children who are polite, well mannered, enjoy their lessons with me - what I'm finding though is that I seem to be doing all the work if anything is asked, say in preparation for an online lesson or as follow up work.
    With one group, I am simply following what their closed school has set and this week she has set Two maths assessments in one week, in addition to four other lessons,
    I spent time on Sunday getting all the worksheets done because when you work on Zoom it doesn't retain any of the annotation.

Obviously as they are assessments, it's better if the children have a go themselves offline and then we can go over any parts which they need support with. I can almost guarantee though, that despite requesting this well ahead of time, tomorrow none of them will have done it? Parents are lovely and not pushy and they have said, " Don't worry we're not pushy and don't expect certain things to be done like some parents etc" but while I know we have to be a lot more understanding and make allowance with home learning at the moment - I see a lot of primary aged children at least kind of falling into 'holiday mode' with no structure - expecting the math fairy to do everything for them - I aint the maths fairy lol :rolleyes::D

5. zetafunction

zetafunction New commenter

I have found the same, for the majority, I am doing the work, but I have limited myself for the hour that they are paying me, if parents want Homework etc, I normally set H/W but draw the line at marking them and pass them MS or model solutions If they are interested on my feedback, I suggest that we can do it within the session while they are paying that way I am not spending whatever meagre time I get for myself over the homework of someone who couldn't be bothered. I have always argued with my colleagues who thinks that marking the students work outside their tuition hour is our duty, I argue, on the contrary, you don't pay someone to do your garden for one hour and when they finished working that hour for you then expect them to take some work home and spend another hour, just because you have paid them for one hour, do you??? Education or no education, if I have been paid for one hour then that is how much I am going to work. I totally understand that some colleagues are going the 'extra mile' but that is in detriment of their own precious time, something that they cannot purchase back with all the gold the world, instead of being spend the way the prefer their time to be spent, working on a piece of work by someone who hasn't paid the slightest attention or care for their own education, time well spent? Rewarding? No, I strongly doubt it. I only teach; GCSE and A level pupils.

6. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I do all my annotations on one note. I have a workbook for each child or group and then I share it with the child or group. It saves them automatically. Some students access the notes outside of lessons, some don't but they are all there. If you download the sheets from the school you can add them as a 'print out'

7. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

I have had students (younger and older) that have behaved like what the OP described and I've spoken to the parents and told them that this is not the way I conduct my lessons (online or not). When doing face to face tutoring, I do allow students to have a small snack (Eg: A small chocolate bar ) and I always encourage them to have some water with them. However online is different. A bottle of water or a small choc bar is acceptable, but stopping for a 'food break' or eating your dinner is not!!

I haven't had the latter with a student, but I have had a YR 10 student deliberately putting his mammoth water bottle in front of him so his face can't be seen and when I asked him to move it so I can see his face, he proceeded to move down his chair so that only his forehead could be seen! He was surly and not very responsive throughout the lesson, so I promptly ended the lesson, citing that it's clear that he doesn't want to do the lesson and that his behaviour is unacceptable. When I spoke to his mum, she agreed that his behaviour was not appropriate and after a two week 'probation' to see whether his attitude would get better; I stopped tutoring him because it didn't.

As far as I'm concerned. It's my business and my rules. If you set out clear guidelines for the parent and student, then it's clear what is an acceptable learning environment; whether online or not; or covid or not.

It also helps to email, whatsapp or text clients, parents or the student (if they're allowed to receive texts) about what books, paperwork etc they need for a lesson beforehand and they should have a couple of pens and a notebook in front of them as well, so there's no running offline to find things.

Personally, I think some people/students are taking the p**s with this covid thing regarding online tutoring. I know that it's difficult now from a financial point of view at the moment for all us tutors, but I don't tolerate poor behaviour at all because if you allow it to happen now, what's going to happen when you have to tutor the same students face to face, will you allow the bad behaviour to continue?

BTW: I have also tutored students that have ADHD and they are often aware of what is acceptable behaviour or not, so perhaps you need to speak to the parents on how best to manage their behaviour episodes online and for possible future face to face tutoring, as it's likely that they will have a statement on how to best manage these things that maybe you need to be aware of.

8. Happyregardless

Personally, I think some people/students are taking the p**s with this covid thing regarding online tutoring.

Thanks, thought I was only one. I do speak to parents but unfortunately every onus is on the teacher/utor at present and none on the pupil.I emailed one parent and the response I got was supportive but then they just reinforced their expectation of 'where they wanted their child to be by XYZ' again putting emphasis on teacher not on child's response. I feel like emailing back and saying well actually if she stops eating monster munch and then fussing about the resulting crumbs on chair it might help?! Monster Munch for breakfast too- great parenting? lol

suzette likes this.
  9. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

True! But perhaps you need to have some 'rules' regarding online etiquette in a lesson and the parent needs to be onboard with it too. Eating huge snacks should be a no, no and rudeness shouldn't be tolerated under any circumstances. I would give this one a few more weeks, then give them their marching orders!