1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone else worn to a frazzle already?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sunpainter, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I feel like I have had a mountain to climb with new initiatives from the head this term. With no rest over Christmas due to endless visitors, On the 3rd of January I went straight from full on host duty to solid school work. Sorting out MT plans and the first week planning usually means a mad day or two before the start of term, but last weekend I was dealing with umpteen other things that had been landed on me too. All this, coupled with a dispiriting feedback from an unannounced observation, has left me worn to a crisp.
    I love teaching, I really do. I am usually quite decent at it as well. Though the head's Ofsted paranoia has made me doubt every bit of lesson planning, and I am suddenly back to agonising over every lesson like a student teacher. I'm sitting here dreading opening my planning folder, because I know that I will be at this desk for another 12 or so hours sorting out lessons for next week...what great way to spend a Saturday.
    Hey ho.. moan over. Better get on with it.

2. I feel like I have had a mountain to climb with new initiatives from the head this term. With no rest over Christmas due to endless visitors, On the 3rd of January I went straight from full on host duty to solid school work. Sorting out MT plans and the first week planning usually means a mad day or two before the start of term, but last weekend I was dealing with umpteen other things that had been landed on me too. All this, coupled with a dispiriting feedback from an unannounced observation, has left me worn to a crisp.
    I love teaching, I really do. I am usually quite decent at it as well. Though the head's Ofsted paranoia has made me doubt every bit of lesson planning, and I am suddenly back to agonising over every lesson like a student teacher. I'm sitting here dreading opening my planning folder, because I know that I will be at this desk for another 12 or so hours sorting out lessons for next week...what great way to spend a Saturday.
    Hey ho.. moan over. Better get on with it.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My advice, for what it's worth, is to work for a couple of hours, leave it to do do something for yourself and THEN come back to it. I know one tends to become a little 'brain-dead' if you just keep slogging at it and usually you find you get get as much done as you'd hoped anyway.
    Try it! If it doesn't work -you've always tomorrow!

4. Dont let teaching take over your life. If you are doing the job well enough to earn your pay and the children in your class are safe, happy and educated - slow down.

Now all I need to do is take my own advice!
    I have learnt to plan much more quickly, ever since I realised that once i've planned I actually only glance at the planning once in the morning and then proceed to teach the actual input in whichever way suits me/the children at the time - I quite often do things that pop to mind during the actual input session, which makes those hours of planning pointless.

5. I agree totally Impulce... but when doing this very thing last week, I was pulled up on it... and told that my planning didn't reflect the lesson. And in addition we are told that every lesson needs the key elements in every 20 min slot as that is how Ofsted inspect. I feel like I am learning to plan all over again. Spent 4 hrs planning three and a half literacy sessions, which is nuts. Grrr

And sadly Laramfl I have family commitments that mean Sundays are mostly offlimits for planning. So today or never. Back to work, sigh.

6. I totally agree with you. I am a total loss lately as to how I should be planning and what I should be going for the best. I had an awful observation last week, which had knocked my confidence and angered me greatly because I think support should be given to show us teachers what is now expected. The goal posts have moved but no training with it. I would very much like to know how I should be planning now!