1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone else waiting it out until July?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by burntoutteacher, Jan 19, 2016.

1. burntoutteacher

burntoutteacher Occasional commenter

Hi everyone.
    Just got home from a 2 hour staff meeting full of **** an decided I've had enough. I'm hoping to give my notice in after Easter to leave by 31st August. Won't go into too much detail as I don't want to moan (most people on here have a basic understanding if why the uk education system is generally doomed etc) but I was just wondering....is there anyone else out there like me, who is just waiting to leave? I haven't told anyone at work yet as I don't trust anyone and obviously my family know but I think they're fed up hearing about how much I hate my job. It would be nice to speak to anyone who feels in the same position, and we could hopefully get each other through to July!!
    ~burntoutteacher

katiekitten and JRiley1 like this.
  2. minicooper53

minicooper53 Established commenter

If you read my thread I feel exactly the same way, I have had enough too. Chin up x

3. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

Just out of interest really why have you decided to hang on?

Hopefully you won't hate it so much now you know you are going. You can start to let lots of nonsense go over your head. Once you hand in your notice maybe you can even enjoy "just teaching". Roll on Easter!

4. burntoutteacher

Thought I might get asked that! Two reasons really. I'm teaching in a really deprived area, my y4 class are challenging, struggle with change and I literally only managed to pin them down by Christmas break. A tiny part of me feels like I owe it to them to see the year out. I'm fully aware that there will be a line of cheap nqts really to step into my shoes, but all the same I'm going to see it out for the kids. And the only other reason, which is quite selfish but nonetheless true, is I want to get paid for the summer holidays while I search for a job outside of education!

Is your thread on workplace dilemmas minicooper53? Can't seem to see it.

~burntoutteacher

5. MrMercedes

MrMercedes New commenter

Hey,

I feel the same and know many other teachers feeling like this. I'm leaning more to finishing in the summer rather than at Easter too. For a few reasons, I don't want to leave my class half way through, the money, and also it gives time to consider what to do next. I don't hate my school. I believe most schools are the same at the moment and wherever I taught I would find the same things frustrating. I'm fed up of having no life. Teachers need a life too. I actually think my kids get fed up too (with certain things they have to do at my school) and I wish I could say this isn't my choice that you're doing this. Unfortunately, I feel teaching is just not worth the hassle anymore. It's such a shame because 3 or 4 years ago I enjoyed it and was so motivated. I think it just grinds you down eventually? Maybe there will be some changes in the future. Who knows!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best wishes to you all - I just hope that your SLT appreciate what you have done, are doing and will be doing for the pupils.

This may be of interest

Possible other careers

Best wishes

JRiley1 likes this.
  7. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

@burntoutteacher I could have written this thread!! I was actually going to start a thread about waiting for July too, but I see you beat me to it!

I too am waiting for July, I'm in year 2 & want to get the kids through the sats. Ive got enough energy to keep going, I like my class & do want to do my best for them. Not going to lie but I also want to have that extra money coming in while I get another job, also outside of education. Sorry to be going, but it hasn't turned out as I'd hoped, so fed up of doing work, things keep changing & I've just had enough! I don't mind my school, I just know it's not for me anymore, I'd like to see if I can apply my skills to something else.

Feels like a very long time until July though, so I marked on my calendar how many weeks it is, I don't know why but it seems to help when I work the numbers out & cross each day off the calendar. I'm just aiming for half term, as after half term we'll be more than half way through!!! I like the idea of coming on here & getting through it together :)

8. gerg27

gerg27 New commenter

I'm hanging on until July too.
    I don't agree with what's happening to education in this country and just find myself getting angry and frustrated with all the ******** ALL THE TIME.
    I'm sticking it out for all the same reasons as previous posters.

petenewton and JRiley1 like this.
  9. minicooper53

minicooper53 Established commenter

Hi burntoutteacher

Yes my thread is on here says something like off with anxiety and stress... I think I've more or less made my mind up that I'm going also. I've done it for over 10 years and just completely drained ... Have no life and life is too short. I may change my mind but at the moment I feel happier knowing that it's not for much longer

10. JRiley1

Yep I feel same too, there is just too much expected from kids & teachers. I'm sick of trying my best & not getting anywhere. I'm fed up with people wanting everything done yesterday! I'm not saying it'll be all amazing in another job but if I could have a week where I don't have to do work at home or feel weighed down with work pressures that'd be amazing!

petenewton likes this.
  11. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

12. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Yep- have gone from part time, back to full time ironically. But this will clear my mortgage quicker meaning I can stop sooner!

13. muddyjudiff

muddyjudiff New commenter

That you care about the welfare of the kids is the saddest part. You'll be missed.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Although the OP has already handed the notice in, there's one small advantage to be gained by going at Christmas or Easter, and that's less competition for other posts if you want to stay in teaching and just work somewhere else. Schools who see staff go mid-year often struggle to find suitable replacements and are grateful to take you on if you have what they want. By September yet another cohort of trainee teachers has hit the job market.

Similarly, if you're looking for a graduate entry non-teaching job why wait until more fresh graduates are around?

Staying 'for the kids' is all very laudable in principle, but (sorry to say it) they'll adapt pretty quickly if your replacement has what's needed. I sometimes think holding on until the year end puts you at a disadvantage. I left my first post in April and my second at Christmas, and have stepped into others' shoes as a supply in later years so I've seen it from both sides.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. fourleafclover

fourleafclover New commenter

I'm in the same situation although I haven't made a definite decision yet. I work part time which allows me to have a work/ life balance however, I end up working 1 and sometimes 2 days planning and preparing even though I'm only working 3 days! I would like a job that when I walk away at the end of the day I don't have to do work at home! I like where I work and the people I work with, its just the endless amount of work and behaviour we have to deal with. I have so many fears and worries about leaving that it holds me back, just wish I was braver to make the decision!

16. burntoutteacher

At least we know we're not alone!! :)

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels ANGRY! Every staff meeting there's a hidden agenda. There's never a word of thanks, just, "Oh, you finished that pointless paperwork task? Here's some more!!"

My thoughts exactly. I told my partner today that knowing that I'm going feels like a crack of light has been opened in a very long underground tunnel. Didn't stop me crying tonight at the thought of going in tomorrow mind.
    THIS!

:( I'm far from perfect as a teacher but I came into this so fresh faced and eager 4 years ago. Now I just find myself taking out my stress on the children which isn't fair on them.

As sad as it is, I want to start a family in the next few years and I selfishly would prefer to focus on my own children and not the needs of other's. :oops: I do feel bad saying that but it's true....
    Thanks Theo. Doesn't seem long since I was trawling your 'How to get your first post' threads! :(:(

-burntoutteacher

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, how sad, how very sad.

:( :( :(

Best wishes for the future

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. JRiley1

You are not selfish @burntoutteacher!! I too have been thinking of the future & I know lots of people do this job with children but I seriously do not know how they manage! I think I just need a job I can leave at the workplace, teaching takes over too much home time.

I'm only in my third year, there's just so much pressure for results & nothings ever good enough, sick of feeling like a failure! I do try but there is just so much work & I'm tired.

I also agree that there is not much praise or positives said, get the rare "I know you're working hard" followed by a but you must prioritise this that & the other as well as everything else I expect from you!

It has got to a point where the workload is taking away any enjoyment from the job. I guess I do feel bit better knowing it's not just me, although I do worry that there are good teachers out there leaving, or being forced out, due to the pressures, workplace environment & mounting workload. :(

lemc likes this.
  19. at64

at64 New commenter

I know what you mean about only working 3 days but spending your 'days off' working on planning or management matters. It's as if they know we will put in the effort because we want what is best for the children and there is no way we can do that and only work for the three paid days.
    I would like to change careers but after 16 years I'm not sure what I'd do.

20. trini12

trini12 New commenter

I had to comment as I do not usually. Well my 6 year old daughter is still asleep. I have been up since 7.30 marking year 10 books so I at least manage to squeeze an hour to play with her today. After 16 years of teaching in secondary schools, transforming some of the worst English departments and teaching whilst I was hemorrhaging last year; I am too handing in my notice. I do not have anything to go to but one thing I do know I will be happy. I refuse to remain in a system that I do not believe in. The new GCSE 9-1 is the final straw! How the average inner city child is going to cope with this exam is beyond me? I refuse to stress myself teaching them the content when many are still unable to express themselves verbally or articulately on paper due to such low literacy and reading levels and now all of the texts are unseen and Shakespeare back on the menu! I have made my feelings clear to my department and informed most of them as I am unable to disguise the frustration I feel daily.

Due to my experience everyone relies on me to sort behaviour - another reason why I am going. I am tired of being spoken to like I am not a human being with a loving family. The attitudes of 'some' secondary pupils - mainly girls I may add- is shocking and I fear for them. The parents are not supportive and would rather they have the latest electronic device then a dictionary; many do not know how to use one describing them as 'long'.

I remained this year as I have the sweetest year 11 group who say 'thank you' and I have taught them since year 7. Their mock results have surpassed all of their targets and I am proud of them. Their results will be my high to exit out of teaching with my head held high knowing I did a brilliant job despite the stress, illness, tears, insults I have endured, the frustration, the only spending time with my daughter in the holidays... I will be free to hopefully go on to set up my own after-school educational centre for underprivileged pupils who are willing to achieve.