1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone else REALLY nervous about going back?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellie_rose, Sep 1, 2012.

1. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Hi everyone. I am an NQT who has nearly finished the induction year. Did about 7 months at a school last year teaching a challenging Year 6 class and loved it. I got on well, had 2 HMI inspections and survived (school was just coming out of special measures) and am due to start at another school after being recommended to them by my previous school (as they no longer wanted NQTs there). However, I'm really really anxious about starting.

I'm the sort of person who takes a little while to settle in and feel like I know what I'm doing. My previous school was quite small so I got to know everyone quickly, knew most of the kids in every class and by the time I left I felt like I really knew what I was doing. I have visited my new school and I just feel so out of my depth. It's much bigger than my previous school with three times as many staff and children. I don't know where anything is and everyone keeps telling me how hard the year is going to be as the expectations are so high (they are outstanding and I think they're due Ofsted too.) I found that I had to work hard at my previous school (barely any mentor support so I was doing most things alone, had to get my class through SATs when they were below their expected levels).

I am finding it hard to sleep at night and find myself constantly worrying. I had to visit my old classroom to pick something up I'd forgotten and I felt so sad being in there. I would have given anything to be returning to that school where I feel confident and know everyone. I'm dreading the first day and being the 'new person' again. It's like I have to prove myself all over again to a group of people that don't know me. I'm worried about getting to know a new class, especially as I don't know very much about how this school works. Before, as my previous school was one form entry, it was just me and I knew what to do, but working with others will be different and I'm worried about doing something wrong.

Am I the only one feeling like this? :(

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Who is 'everyone'? Bet you it isn't the staff in your new school.

The most difficult school I've ever worked in was not the outstanding ones, but a just about satisfactory one. In outstanding schools there tends to be less micromanagement and often more support in the sense everyone wants to be amazing so you feed off each other.

Your new school appointed you. They chose you from a zillion people they could have had. That means they will want you to be a success and so will support you to be the outstanding teacher they want you to be. In a bigger school there are more people about, so if the 'official' mentors and so on aren't very forthcoming, other people will be.

It is totally normal to feel nervous and scared, everyone starting in new schools has all the same feelings you have. But you, hopefully, also feel excited and keen to get going as well. Think of all that you learned last year and can use in your new post. Get in and set up your new room and make it yours. Start thinking about your new class and the teaching and how fab you are going to be. Dwelling on the tricky bits won't help you.
    You'll do a million things wrong, if you are normal. I can't count the number of things I did wrong last year and it was my 16th year of teaching. It is normal to mess up sometimes...no-one will judge you for it.

3. There wll be plenty feeling just like you including those not moving schools.
    Its natural to feel as you do when moving schools and to be honest even experienced teachers find a move challenging as its the little day to day stuff that you dont know.
    Stop worrying about being the new girl and scare stories from whoever about working hard. Look at the positives, you will have more people to learn from and to share with. Working in isolation has some benefits but in general is not the best way to move forward. Use the little NQT time you have left observing others (with their permission obviously) so you can see how others do things.
    You will be surprised how quickly you feel like youve been there forever and know where stuff is too.

4. I can understand exactly how you feel even though Im staying in the same school! I am moving Key stages and am worried about the planning, the daily routines and fitting everything in. It is totally different to what I am used to and although I obviously know all the staff, I havent worked with all of them before and am worried that I will do something wrong or I wont be good enough.
    I am sure you will be fine, as your new no one will expect you to know everything or where everything is. You say how confident you felt in your old school harness that feeling and remember everything you have learnt and you will be fine. Good Luck :)

5. I've been teaching for twenty five years and still feel nervous in September. But actually, no-one's going to eat you! Three tips from an old hack...
    Try not to think about work all the time. Remember you are allowed to have a life whether your school is outstanding or not.
    Concentrate on doing one thing well at a time. eg 'Today my behaviour management is going to be brilliant and I'm not going to worry about the quality of the kids' work.' or 'This week I'll discover where the best maths resources are hiding.'
    After a few days you will feel very confident with your class and you'll be getting to know other staff members. My last tip is to befriend your TA if you have one. She'll show you the ropes when you are feeling a bit lost.
    Good luck!