1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone else finding life in overcrowded GB intolerable?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrs Mo, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Just thought I'd ask because yesterday I had to go to Salisbury for a dental appointment. I couldn't BELIEVE the number of people wondering around. I know lots of them were probably tourists but our schools haven;t even broken up yet, so I'd hate to go there in August!! It was just unbearable.
    I was trying to find somewhere to grab a bite to eat - there are loads of cafes in Salisbury but they were all full to bursting. Just spent my time trying to avoid being mown down on the pavements by all the mobility scooters, not to mention being barged into by the morbidly obese women pushing their buggies around.
    I did eventually find somewhere to eat but I just found the whole thing unbearable - too overcrowded, too noisy, too many people. Morbidly obese woman at the table next to me had her brood in tow so lots of children crying, whingeing etc. All I wanted to do was to get out of there fast. And it's not just Salisbury; it seems everywhere is so overcrowded and stressful.
    I used to live in Salisbury about 8 years ago and I always loved it. Yes, it got busy in summer with the tourists, but it was never like this! All I could think was "this is hell on earth." The awful thing is, it will only continue to get worse. God help us when the population reaches 70m (it's probably there already).

2. There's always the highlands of Scotland?

3. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Nah, you'll be pushed around by the sheep

4. I know exactly how you feel. I grew up in South Africa where you don't find that everywhere you go, the world and his wife is there too!
    For instance, the thought of trying to go to the seaside on a sunny weekend day - forget it! You'll spend at least an hour queueing in traffic and then there won't be anywhere to park and the resaturant won't have any tables and by the time you can get a table there will be no ice cream left.
    A museum on any day when you can go to a museum (i.e. holidays or weekends) - forget it! Unless you want to spend the day being elbowed out of the way and craning your neck to see something and hoping your child will get a turn on the hands-on exhibits at some point.
    Theme Parks - ditto. Shopping for anything anytime after mid-November, ditto.
    I do sometimes think about emigrating to somewhere with more space and fewer people, but I'm too tangled up here, with family etc.
    I think being a teacher makes it worse because we can never get any time off to go places or see and do things unless everyone else is off too.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Nope, I quite like the hustle and bustle (though I don't like morbidly obese women).

6. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

That wouldn't be fair on the indigenous population of the country to which you emigrated- what if people emigrating caused that country to be overcrowded?

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I live in the middle of nowhere. I love Whitby on a Bank Holiday Monday. Congestion, it makes you feel one of the people, cruising in third at 20mph, taking in the views, enjoying not having children. It is a joy.

8. I'd love to move somewhere with a little more space, specifically the US, but unfortunately freelance writers and musicians aren't on their list of must-have professions, so we're stuck here for the time being...!

9. You could move to the north, except that we don't want you to.

10. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Can't say I ever have that problem where I live, in Scotland. It's never crowded here, though the nearest town gets a bit busy with tourists when the sun shines. I lived in the city in my student days, and as a twenty-something. I can't imagine it now. I have trouble crossing the street in the city- everything's so fast and I'm used to taking my time, chatting to everyone I meet or at the very least passing the time of day.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

No we don't. We like it up here, nice and quiet without people!

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sounds like agoraphobia to me.

And that's a kind interpretation.

13. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I don't really mind crowds, as long as I'm not in a rush. OH on the other hand reacts very badly to being in a small space with lots of people- so we never go to shopping centres together, don;t do theme parks, beaches etc on bank holidays. I quite like people watching and being in the thick of it.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Kitten mittens - did you choose your username due to the tv programme It's always sunny in Philadelphia?
    If you did, you will know the episode that I mean [​IMG]

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Become a hermit. Find a cave somewhere and practise total isolationism.
    Thew world would then become a happier place.

Oh, and then lose the use of your legs and turn down the use of a mobility scooteron the grounds that their presence makes you uncomfortable.

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

Become a hermit. Find a cave somewhere and practise total isolationism.
    The world would then become a happier place.
    Oh, and then lose the use of your legs and turn down the use of a mobility scooter on the grounds that their presence makes you uncomfortable.
    And then you might just turn your attention to the number of morbidly obese men around the place.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

PMT perhaps? Mrs Mo if it's any consolation at all I sometimes feel like this. You go out and end up wishing everyone would just go away. As we say in Bonnie Scotland; it's a pure heid nip

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

What an embarrassingly selfish **** the OP is.

19. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

It's not really busy where I live (near Welsh borders) - and there are plenty of places in mid-Wales where you can drive for miles without seeing a house in the distance, let alone another car...
    So, no - can't say I find GB particularly overcrowded or intolerable.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My least favourite part of any trip to Europe is the bit where we drive between home and Dover. The crowding on our roads (and the state of them) is appalling compared to France. Then again, France is a bigger country and they have well-built toll motorways.

Having lived in Surrey for a while before relocating North of Watford, I always find the south feels more crowded when I travel through it.

There are still parts of Wales that remain relatively uncrowded, even in summer, but most of England gets on my nerves now.