1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone else feeling slightly sick?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by franob, Aug 25, 2011.

1. I have spent most of the summer wishing away the summer holiday - despite the fact that I knew I would regret it from mid September! This was down to a combination of factors including a big and unexpected op and forced imprisonment to recover. I have nursed a growing addiction to this forum and made resources galore. I've been desperate for this day to come after changng career and being a peniless student for 3 yrs.
    Today however, it has hit me like a tonne of bricks though that in a week I will be in school, a 'real' teacher with my own class. It has given me a slightly sicky feeling! Does anyone else seem to have developed a nervousness about the next stage of their teaching career begining?
    I have to say, I'm not 22 (sadly!) or green in any way, so hadn't expected to feel nervous - I've had a busy career with many challenges and just run headlong into them. I am definately looking forward to starting BUT can't shake the waves of nervousness!
    Please tell me I'm not alone!!

2. I have spent most of the summer wishing away the summer holiday - despite the fact that I knew I would regret it from mid September! This was down to a combination of factors including a big and unexpected op and forced imprisonment to recover. I have nursed a growing addiction to this forum and made resources galore. I've been desperate for this day to come after changng career and being a peniless student for 3 yrs.
    Today however, it has hit me like a tonne of bricks though that in a week I will be in school, a 'real' teacher with my own class. It has given me a slightly sicky feeling! Does anyone else seem to have developed a nervousness about the next stage of their teaching career begining?
    I have to say, I'm not 22 (sadly!) or green in any way, so hadn't expected to feel nervous - I've had a busy career with many challenges and just run headlong into them. I am definately looking forward to starting BUT can't shake the waves of nervousness!
    Please tell me I'm not alone!!

3. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

NO!! You're not alone!! I have worked in the same school for four years, as an LSA, then a TA, then last year as a GTP student, and I'm still nervous!!
    Like you, it has hit me in the last week or so that I will be a "real" teacher, with sole responsibility for my classes and their success!! I think if we had no nerves that would be the time to worry because we'd be too complacent!
    Teachers that I know who have been there for years all say that they get a slight sick and nervous feeling just before they go back, so that must go double for us!!
    I'm sure we'll be fine - just enjoy the last few days of freedom!! [​IMG]

4. You'll be fantastic, that you've spent time preparing shows you're really dedicated. Just focus on your establishing your relationship, boundaries etc with the children / students for the first couple of days and don't be afraid to ask questions, no one minds! Good luck to you.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You will be fabulous and you will be fine.

I met with my partner year 2 teacher today. We have both been teaching for over 10 years and yet both said we still suddenly feel really nervous about the new school year and our ability to be a teacher about a week or so before term starts.

Seriously, EVERYONE feels that way. You are going to have a really great time and enjoy being part of the best possible profession in the universe!

6. I'm 21 I still feel like a baby myself... so just feel great you have experience in the working world!
    Make sure you post after your first day, will be fab to know how everyone got on.

7. You're certainly not alone. As well as worrying about all the obvious things I've started worrying about really silly little things, and am not sleeping properly; I even dreamt I was in my new classroom and it was snowing heavily, and I was panicking about how I would get home (yes, in August, lol!). Think of it like this; if we weren't worrying, it would be because we didn't care. What sort of teachers would we be then x?

8. I too have been wishing away the holidays but now feel a bit apprehensive!
    Love the dream pinkjacqui, I have had some weird ones. I will start a thread on this I am sure we are not the only ones!

9. Hi all, I'm feeling nervous too! Woke up this morning as if I just realised that I will be responsible for a class of little people for a year - even though I'm really prepared for it! Best advice I've been given - 'keep things in perspective'. Good luck everyone!

10. Well, I've been back into school today and got more finished - only 5 days in total so far! My classroom now looks pretty good and if the kids walked in tomorrow it would probably do us, but there is so much I want to get done still!
    I'm all shopped out - shoes, clothes even a roller case....... the shopping high helped for a while but back to nervousness now!

11. I feel exactly the same! I'm a mature NQT in my thirties with children of my own, I've had other jobs before too. I haven't been nervous so far but it's hit me today, big time! I keep worrying I'm not up to it, that I'll make an idiot of myself, that I'll forget silly things, say silly things etc. I suppose most of us probably feel the same, it's a big step. I'm hoping that by half term, we'll be a lot less daunted by it all (even if we are totally exhausted).

12. Me too - my girls are 10 and 15. I'm actually feeling a little calmer but getting frustrated that it is a long weekend for some unknown reason!! I think I just want it to get started now so that I don't keep stewing on it!

13. I am also a mature NQT, my children are 12 and 15. I was also a HLTA whilst studing for my degree so have loads of classroom experience but am feeling a bit weird now it all seems so close.
    I have spent most of this day wishing it to go, the kids wouldn't go out and do anything so feel like a wasted day!
    Can't wait until Thursday when I can get back into school and do some of my displays, have already moved furniture ect but really need to sort out the walls.
    Good luck everyone [​IMG]