1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Is anyone carrying on as normal (ish) ?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Medusa10, Mar 20, 2020.

  1. BG54

    BG54 Occasional commenter

    Yes, I direct my clients to pay tuition fees into my current account and raise an invoice for each lesson as well as keeping all receipts for deductible items. For each tax year I also maintain a spreadsheet listing the names of each student and the fees invoiced for each month, plus the amounts of any agency commission. It makes the self-assessment return a lot easier.
  2. bramblesarah

    bramblesarah Occasional commenter

    When I rung HMRC in September and told them they said they would send me a self-assessment form. I dont think I have my tax reference number yet. My earnings are in a separate account and I have invoices as proof.
  3. catbefriender

    catbefriender Lead commenter

    @bramblesarah they send the self assessment forms after the tax year end. So you will receive it after 5th April 2020, usually around May or June. You're registered with them, therefore you could claim compensation, IF the government sets up a compensation scheme for the self employed. They still haven't done so yet.:(
  4. BG54

    BG54 Occasional commenter

    It's much easier to register online, get the UTR number allocated and then you can login and file your self-assessment return online.


Share This Page