1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone carrying on as normal (ish) ?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Medusa10, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Medusa10

Medusa10 New commenter

Hi, I haven’t previously posted on here. All my GCSE students have cancelled , however, I still have some home educated and adult students wanting to continue. They all want face to face sessions as normal . My plan is to wash my hands on entering their houses and use hand sanitizer. I will also not share pens and equipment. For those coming to my house, I have a cloakroom students may use ( hand washing) and will sit at the end of the table. Is anyone else continuing with face to face; I suppose I’m seeking reassurance. There is no one vulnerable in my home or any of the homes I’ll be visiting. Thank you

2. humbug

humbug New commenter

I feel it's too much of a risk now, and changed to Skype mid-week. It seems that it takes a while for symptoms to show, and possibly some have it so mildly they may not really. But those people can still transmit. Sounds as if you are being really careful, but I just don't think its worth the risk.

I was afraid to email students about changes but every one of them was understanding, so don't be afraid to make changes.

I realise you wrote this yesterday. Things change fast, so you may have made other decisions in the light of government guidelines today.

3. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

The current government guidelines are that if you're self-employed rather than on PAYE, you are of neglible importance. This makes the already very difficult decisions surrounding how we run our businesses, even more difficult....

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Tutoring for this academic year ended for me last Wednesday.

5. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

The attitude to the self-employed has been a disgrace up to now, there's no sign of any suspension of utility bills etc as has been implemented in France, which would help everyone in the short term.

CloudsTES and Lespaul101 like this.
  6. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Please don't go into people's houses. We are trying to stop the spread of this. Think about all thepeople - tutors, cleaners, mobile hairdressers etc, thinking 'Oh surely it's OK if I go into people's homes...' Please please don't. Have you seen the video where leaving one match out stops the spread of the fire?
    I have been tutoring on Facetime/Skype/Zoom - it works well.

7. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

SEN homeschooled student cannot adapt to online... Rishi Sunak offers nothing in the way of support for my (dramatically reduced) income. Difficult decisions for all of us, I'm afraid.

Kateray1 likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Do it on line

9. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Unfortunately I am not carrying on as normal. Up to now I have kept half my students, not heard off 2 and gained 1. I am doing all tuition online. However I did go to the hairdressers today. My husband works for a big company and is still going into work on Monday. If you can tutor online then do. If you can't then do whatever you need to do to put food on the table. I went for a walk with my husband today and saw lots of big groups of people, it made me so angry. Most schools aren't closing. It feels very unfair.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most schools are closed to all but the children of key workers from Monday

11. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

And to those with SEND. It is going to be very challenging have mixed classes of different age groups and the children with a complex array of SEND in the mix. A lot of children with SEND have problems with change, so their may be some behavioural issues in the mix and also the neurotypicals will be exhibiting anxiety as well, because of the strange new school settings.

Good luck to all who are part of this.:)

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Didn’t they also say though, that if we lose the lot and have no work, or a huge reduction, we are entitled to sign on...also that self assessment has been essentially shelved mow until 2021? Which is grrrreat!

13. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Although I only did a small amount of tutoring (about 4 hours a week) way back, 20 years ago, I understand what it must be like for you now.

I’d offer online sessions, like the advice above. It could help cement more business for when things start to recover.

I wish you all the very best. This is a very difficult time on many levels.

And best wishes to you @Mrsmumbles. You’ve had enough to deal with without this.

14. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

See you what you make of this; it's the iniquity between how employees and the self-employed are being treated that is causing the issues, and is certainly something of a 'sticking point' for me...
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...unak-under-pressure-to-bail-out-self-employed

15. bramblesarah

I personally only went self-employed in September 2019 so I have never filled in a tax return. It would be simple enough if someone and been self-employed for many years they could look at their earning for the previous years. But with those on zero hours, temp works or recently self-employed there isn't an easy way to determine this. The easiest system (in the medium term) is universal basic income. They could get rid of the tax allowance. If everyone received £5k universal income then at 20% tax everyone earning over £25,000 would be paying it back in tax.

16. catbefriender

Your salary could be assessed on what you have earned pro rata from September 19 to April 20. You have been employed 0.5 of the financial year, all they have to do is multiply your income by 2 and they would get would you could have earned in a year. It's doable. The question is, will they do it?

It's appalling that employees who have a lot more statutory benefits such as sickness, maternity, holiday pay and employers' pension contributions, are given this support as well. Not that it's stopping many employers from sacking them! The issue is the money isn't going to come through fast.

Many clients just ditch the self employed whenever and expect us to be where we were when they next decide to use us. Childminders are charging their clients, who they can no longer serve and the clients are saying they can't afford it. It's difficult for both parties.

Whatever comes through from the government will probably be too little and too late.

bramblesarah likes this.
  17. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I did have one parent phone me and say they wanted to carry on as normal , I declined. Thankfully some of my students have agreed to try online tutoring.

18. bramblesarah

They wouldn't know what I have earned yet. Obviously I know, but I would still have to prove it or they would have to take my word for it. Also multiplying by 2 wouldn't be accurate as obviously a tutors income is lower over the summer. But I get your general point that it is possible. With PAYE they already have the numbers at HMRC. Fingers crossed they do more

19. catbefriender

As a self employed tutor you are registered as self employment and have a unique tax reference number. When you do your self assessment they will know and if they query what you have earned, you can show them because all your earnings should have been placed in an account strictly for self employment work, away from your regular current account.

Tutors doing things cash in hand and illegally will get nought, because they will have no proof. But if you have registered with the HMRC and set up a basic bank account for your earnings only, and do an annual cash account and your self assessment, you will be fine.

The Chancellor has announced there will be help for the self employed and temporary workers today.

20. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

It is not illegal to not have a business bank account if a sole trader, as long as you keep a record of every lesson.

Kateray1 likes this.