1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone actually enjoying teaching MFL?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ard, Jan 10, 2005.

1. I love teaching MFL up to a point (ususally 2nd lesson every day!!!)
    I'd love to BE teaching MFL, unfortunately due to the Welsh Assembly not ever having the guts to make a foreign language compulsory I find that my timetable has been increasingly filled up with a random selection of totally unrelated subjects. (French, Spanish(extra curricular), IT, English, Geography, History and SE) which this year equal more than half my timetable. If I could afford to I think I would go part time, I don't want a career in language teaching , I just want to teach languages so I don't think going part time would affect me. I wasn't even asked if I was even remotely qualified in any of these on MFL subjects, just given my timetable.

Can anyone recommend anything to say to SMT? I feel sad all the time
    OP:
    Go into MFL teaching by all means but when you say you have your eyes open I hope that means you understand that a hard job is made even harder by the lack of pupils actually choosing to study MFL. I think it's a vicious circle right now, kids won't motivate themselves to study languages and it's hard to try to motivate them when you find yourself spending most of your days teaching **** because they won't choose languages

Sorry to go on, I've had a *** day

2. Just remember, OP, when the kids ask, "Miss/Sir, are we doing anything fun today?" , say "NO, I'm not here to ENTERTAIN you I'm here to EDUCATE you. If you want fun, go to Butlins. I'm not a redcoat!!!!" and PS don't bother trying to say that in the Target Language!
    [​IMG]

3. tammyround

tammyround New commenter

I would say obviously evaluate lessons and take on board some feedback but ultimately as year 9s they will think everything is rubbish. I have not taught a nice year 9 class yet at all, and I am coming to the end of my NQT year and dealing with a horrible horrible group!

It seems to be their perogative to strop around complaining about everything. Plus generally most kids seem to be a little bit like this, in the sense they expect all singing and dancing entertainment - hard work is not acceptable! I feel a little disillusioned with it all as well, but I think you have to hang on to the good groups! I was dreading school on Monday and then had a couple of excellent pieces of work handed in and saw how much the kids had learned. All it takes is a few good ones to make your day. Don't remember the horrible ones - they are most probably like that with everyone! Remember the good ones! It will keep you motivation up and help you teach (even the horrible ones).
    Hope this helps a little and stick at it - it's really nice to know it's not just an NQT problem from all of the other people's replies on here. First time I've really looked at the forum to be fair. Thanks everyone

4. bonitasteph

bonitasteph New commenter

Hi there!
    I love my job as a French teacher! I am shocked at the amount of moany teachers. If they don't like it they should not do the job! Teaching is all about working with pupils. Yes, some pupils are tough to teach at times, but they are human beings and as long as you are a firm but fair teacher, pupils will respect that.
    I am also Head of Year 11 and there is nothing that I love more than to know that I have either helped somebody, shaped their future or insipred them in some way (even if it is only that smile in the corridor).
    I'd love to hear how you have got on!

5. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

How do you put the tréma on naive?

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

alt 139 I think - yep ï

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I wonder what school that poster works at? I'd love to be there!

8. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

What? I'm still waiting for the lab results on that one!

No, teaching is all about the holidays!

sam

9. Seems I might be in the minority here but I love teaching MFL - compared to other 'subjects', I feel MFL has the potential to keep my professional competences and interests continually fresh and 'relevant'. My philosophy is it comes down to 'what you do with what you've got' to quote the lovely Eddi Reader. Before anyone has a go (!) I teach in a boy's state comp in London where MFL enjoys a high and successful profile due mainly to a positive team of practitioners. We are compulsory at KS4 and enjoy a high uptake at KS5. If you don't enjoy what you do most days, then of course it may be understandable to moan, but do something about it. I have taught in schools I hated but loved the cameraderie of staff, schools I loved but found the staff more childish than the kids. I moved onwards when I felt I was not enjoying getting up in the morning. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing well and have the courage to pay lip service to initiatives you might find personally or professionally stupid. I am not for one minute implying everything in the garden is rosy, but I came into teaching because I wanted to work with young people, warts and all. If we are not getting that in our current post for whatever reason, then surely we are able to do something about it and that list of 'somethings' can mean many different things - however, what will actually make a change to your personal happiness and professional pride and enjoyment is easy ...

10. Hello, sorry- what is "TWALT"?

11. Guten Tag,
    ich unterrichte Deutsch seit etwa 14 Jahren und ich habe vor 3 Jahren ein PGCE in Exeter absolviert. Ich habe an Schulen in England, Indien und der Türkei unterrichtet.
    Yes, I do enjoy teaching German very much. IMHO it´s all about communication and building bridges.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Michael Redeker

12. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Redeker,
    Wie sagt man "IMHO" auf Deutsch, bitte?
    sam

13. Heh! Meiner Meinung nach just isn't the same...
    missfisher - TWALT - today we are learning to, I think? Or perhaps there's just a superfluous L...

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

Time Wasting Activities for Language Teachers isn't it?

15. Hi OP - MFL is a difficult subject to teach because although we are in the 21st century there are still many families / people who cannot see the 'point' in learning a language as "everyone speaks English". This is then passed onto future generations. I had a TA in a bottom set class t'other day and she was talking to us at the beginning of the lesson about her half term break. She'd been somewhere in France and then commented "and absolutely nobody spoke any English so ordering food was a nightmare!" Well...........hello! It's another country, why should they speak our language??! This attitude riles me so much and then I launch into my lesson about travel....etc and the students pick up on this thread from her.
    I trained in the "leap around classroom looking a tool" days and thoroughy enjoyed it but you quickly learn that once you start with your own classes, in your own school, on your own you have to get through material, you are responsable for all their learning and if KS4/5 then their results and "leaping around...." is not possible for 43/50 lessons that I teach over 2 weeks. I still use some of this techniques when I have the energy and the will but ultimately I am not a children's entertainer and I am only human so cannot be "clowing around and plate spinning" all day every day. Also, students need to learn to sit quietly and write in silence and read passages and learn grammar points. It can't all be all singing all dancing.
    I love my job and couldn't imagine doing anything else but like somebody has already said, choose your school carefully. My first school MFL was undervalued by both kids and SMT and uptake at KS4 was poor. The local area was socio-economically very poor, high employment and miles from a big town. Now I teach in a rural comp but most of the kids are middle class and many go onto uni. I don't want to sound snobbish as I am working class and proud of it but it can be and was very disheartening teaching kids who simply weren't interested and whose parents told them that "French wasn't important so don't bother with it."

16. TWALT oh the memories the memories! And some of those people at the start of this thread...where are they now? You might be right with Time Wasting Activities etc though I recall it as Teaching With a Lazy Theme. Either way, it's coming up to the TWALTing time of year[​IMG]

17. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Your comment prompted me to re-read the start of this thread.
    Where are they all indeed? What a trip down memory lane!

18. Well, I'm still here! I just reinvented myself[​IMG]

19. Good Morning Sam,
    IMHO = in my humble opinion
    heißt auf Deutsch
    MBMN = meiner bescheidenen Meinung nach.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Michael

www.redeker.co.nz