1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone actually enjoying teaching MFL?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ard, Jan 10, 2005.

1. sarahebery

sarahebery New commenter

Mfl is a hard option for most kids because it requires concentration and learning and I too have tempered my mad rabbit impressions with grammar and vocab tests but it is all worth it for moments such as the time when my Year 11 in their last lesson requested to have " Au champs elysees" ( da nananna!!!) playing-- hardly a dry eye in the House.. I also agree that Spanish is more widely loved than French .. must be all the sangria and beaches -- how shallow secondary school boys can be!! Still 8/10 in KS4 who choose Spanish are male and thar has to be good news. Enjoy -- its the best job I ahve ever had.

2. janemk

janemk New commenter

Londo, I am not miss sb, I am not Londo Mollari, I am not AndyP, I am me.

Ooh, and it rhymes!

3. ooh, paranoia chez the TES forum! I am definitely the one and only Miss SB - nothing to do with janemk!

4. mco45

mco45 New commenter

Paranoia, miss s b? You don't know the half of it!

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

If janemk were Andy.Pipkin, that would presuppose she were a massive Litle Britain fan. Is that possible for someone based in Milan? Unless jane got the dvd for xmas? But surely she would have chosen Vicky Pollard or Emily Howard for a username. Just a thought...

6. janemk

janemk New commenter

Exactly. I hate that programme anyway. And the same reasoning led me to stop thinking it was Londo, cos he's in Japan and he's never mentioned that programme in three months of emails. Is Andy Pipkin a character in it or not?? I don't even know that much! I've only seen it once in my life.

7. smoothnewt

It is largely brilliant!
    We discussed it on opinion back during the xmas hols - late Dec I think - maybe just before xmas.

Andy Pipkin is a supposed paraplegic, except that he isn't, and it's all about his relationship with his PC carer, Lou. Lou is so desperate to be needed by Andy that he overlooks the fact that the very manipulative Andy is fully able bodied.
    It is very clever. One of Andy's catchphrases, amongst others, is "Yeah, ah kno'!".
    I didn't like the last series so much overall, but there are some priceless bits / characters overall. It would be well worth getting the video if you can.

8. janemk

janemk New commenter

Ah, I have seen him, in the one episode I saw at Christmas. Didn't know his name though. My sister loves it. I can't see the appeal, well, not from one episode anyway.

9. janemk

janemk New commenter

Oops, not finished! The reason I thought it might be Londo taking the **** is that for some unknown reason I always say "yeah, ah know" in my broad northern accent, (since childhood!) and Londo picked up on it on the phone! But Andy.Pipkin's just posted on Personal, and Londo should be well asleep by now, unless he's playing a VERY elaborate joke and waking himself up to post! I say it's not him either. But have you seen how similar those two's opinions and styles are?!

10. smoothnewt

I actually find it difficult to make that kind of comparison, given the number of posters posting on the personal / opinion board, but you are better placed to judge as far as Londo is concerned.
    I find all the trolling that is going on over there currently quite amusing - clearly regular posters who for whatever reason feel the need for a wind up. I'd like to try to pinpoint who they could be, but I wouldn't know where to start.
    Off to bed now - night night!

11. janemk

janemk New commenter

Well I sit and read EVERYTHING on there during the day at work, and both of them are quite, prolific, shall I say!

Anyway, night night!

12. mco45

mco45 New commenter

I'm beginning to think you are more addicted than I am janemk! In fact, I'm sure you are! I've been trying to restrain myself recently!

13. janemk

janemk New commenter

It comes in waves, mco, and it's become my comfort zone when I'm stressed - the more stressed I am, the more I log on!

14. And the more of what you read that Londo writes, the more stressed you get. Ever heard of something called a 'vicious circle'?

15. janemk

janemk New commenter

There you are. The other posters make me laugh though, so it counteracts your effect. The vicious circle is that I get stressed, spend all day (and now night) on here avoiding the problem and get more stressed cos I've done nowt about it!

16. Drink loads of wine, then you'll fall asleep in front of the computer!

17. janemk

janemk New commenter

I AM falling asleep in front of the computer!

18. Hiya,
    Could we get back to the topic, please? All I ever hear about are French and Spanish. Anyone out there teaching German?

19. mco45

mco45 New commenter

I teach German. Damned hard it is too to motivate pupils who start German in year 9 on one lesson a week - and try to encourage them to opt for it at GCSE.

20. One lesson a week? That's more of an advantage isn't it? You can just do a dodgy topic based games lesson. What can people learn in one lesson anyway, especially unmotivated learners? It could be worse! It could be 4 lesson sof French with them per week!