1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is an MEd worth it?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by WJClarkson, Mar 22, 2016.

1. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

I was wondering if it is worth studying for a Masters In Education. Do you think it is something worth doing or not?

Many thanks :)

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It could be said that any further education is of worth it, but whether it is the best one for you will depend on the content of the course and whether it is taught or research based.

I completed a MSc in Education Management which, I believe, opened a few doors in the career progression corridor.

WJClarkson likes this.
  3. WJClarkson

Thank you, @nomad - your response is much appreciated and helpful :)

4. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

I completed a MEd degree in 2014. Has it earned me a pay rise? Nope. Has it helped me further my career in any way? Nope.

Do it for enjoyment, but do not do it expecting it will necessarily help you professionally.

Hope this helps.

5. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

If you move overseas, then yes. Especially if you move away from UK school system, or are looking to go into leadership.

WJClarkson likes this.
  6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I have a MA and PhD in my subject - loved doing it - it has made my more employable and marketable (but I do not have a PGCE!) , but don't do a qualification just for the sake of the future - it's hard to motivate yourself when you are also doing a full-time job and there will be times that you want to give up - believe me!

JL48 and WJClarkson like this.
  7. WJClarkson

Thank you, all of you. I have to do some serious thinking about his now but I will take everything you have all said into account. You've been most helpful!

@sabrinakat @JL48 @bobbycatrules @nomad

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best wishes with whatever you decide!

9. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Maybe, just possibly, it might depend on the subject. I completed my MEd in1989. While it did not seem to enhance my career prospects at the time (as others have said, I studied for the love of it), since then schools have been very interested in the fact that I studied Educational Psychology.