1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is age a barrier to teaching overseas?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jane.stephenson, Oct 7, 2015.

1. jane.stephenson

jane.stephenson New commenter

I am a 48yr old A level Maths teacher. I am looking for a good International school to take my youngest son to do his A Levels. Any advice on who hires older women? Eldest 2 children have left to go to university and am looking for a change of scene for a year or two? Any advice please?

2. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Well,
    the issue of age or gender should not play a role in this. There are some countries where you cannot get a work visa beyond 60, and some countries where you are required to retire at 65. Good schools will look at your own teaching experience and abilities first when deciding to hire. Mathematics is a shortage subject overseas and the number of international schools offering A levels (as opposed to the IB Diploma) in my subjective assessment seems to have decreased somewhat. Also be aware that you may have to contribute towards school fees for your son and that your announcement in advance that you only want to be there for two years may count against you. Please also change your username to something more anonymous ;-). Plenty of good schools will not discriminate and will be very happy to welcome a single teacher with a dependent.

3. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

At 48 age shouldn't be an issue. Be aware though that many schools will offer two year contracts so the 'year or two' you mention would most likely be two.

4. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

All good advice:

1. change your user name - don't compromise yourself on here;
    2. keep your long term intentions secret - a. it could be a reason for them not employ you, b. you may find two years go quickly and you have enjoyed yourself to an extent you'd like some more.
    3. there are upper limits in some countries but doubt age would play a part in decision making until the upper fifties.

Regarding points 2 and 3, I'm told it costs an extraordinary amount to bring in a new teacher - almost half the annual salary - so most schools are trying to employ someone who will more than likely stay a while.

Despite your skills being in demand, you desire a specific post at a specific school. You cannot afford to miss out on advertised posts and I'd contact agencies immediately.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The main thing I do on the TES forum these days is to agree with happygreenfrog. It has become something of a habit. Anyway, as usual, I do indeed agree with HGF and I would only add that the tuition fees for the children of the teaching staff are normally waived in most (if not all) of the better international schools. If this not clear from the start, then alarm bells should start ringing. However, even if the tuition is free, there may still be certain charges and fees that could add up to a fair old pile of cash. For example, a lot of schools will bill you separately for "stationery" i.e. textbooks.

On a more positive note, I agree that the OP should leave out the bit about "a year or two". There is no point in shooting yourself in the foot and the chances are that you will probably want to stay a lot longer anyway, if the school really is a good one.

Last year I had an excellent American colleague, a charming single lady with two delightful children. (Her son was in my Year 5 class and what a thoroughly good boy he is!) I would say that a single teacher with a dependent or dependents can be a great asset to a school.

6. zinco

zinco New commenter

Allow time for your son to adapt. You are potentially talking about someone:-
    - changing country and leaving friends and family behind
    - adapting to a new school culture where the expectations are different.
    - changing courses from KS4 to KS5

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Forget A level, look for an IBDP school with a good mix of expat and local teachers. Your son will suffer with A level courses in many 'international' schools, as too many schools in some countries are exam factories.

If you can adapt to IB, Maths is a demand subject: although in some parts of the world, owners think locals make the better Maths tutors.

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Ditto what everybody else has said.

I got my first overseas job at 44 (Saudi), second at 47 (Egypt) and third at 50 (Dubai). I have just left at 58.

It can depend on the subject you offer (Maths up to A level is at the top of the list as desirable), your previous experience, what CPD you have done and, of course, how many applicants they have.

I know you say a year or 2, but be open minded that, once you have tried it, you may stay a lot longer. I went for 2 or 3 years ad stayed 14. Many others are the same.