1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is a trainee allowed to teach: PE, Take the Register,?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rubeechooseday, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Hi All
    Can anyone advise whether a trainee is allowed to teach PE? I know we are not allowed to supervise children during break without a fully qualified teacher but I am unsure about PE.
    Associate Tutors - Does anyone know why we need an Associate Tutor? The chap who organises placements keeps pulling a fast on on this - during my first placement his only concern was that the CT be the AT as well because he did not want to have to- because it is incovenient. When he came to visit us on the first day of placement this was his main concern asking us to ask the teacher for him. He has pulled the same trick again - but this time I am not even sure whether my CT is aware that she has to be my AT as well. It seems so unfair on her and the school - the role of AT can't be that important if my partnership tutor - cannot be bothered to do take on this role.

2. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

You can teach PE but a qualified teacher must be present.

3. You can supervise pupils at break without a qualified teacher being present, if that is what the school chooses to do. You are a responsible adult, that is the key point.
    What is an Associate Tutor?

4. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

As a PGCE student last year I taught PE, I supervised children at break times, and I took the register (since that was in the title!) On my final placement I taught 80% and was alone with the class all the time apart from during observations. This was never seen as an issue. Unless it depends on school policy?

Is an associate tutor like a mentor?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our trainees, of which we have many, all take the register without a fuss. They do break duty, but never alone as none of us do it alone. They take PE lessons, sometimes alone sometimes not, depending on the trainee and the classteacher.

Our classteachers are also 'teacher tutors' and are responsible for the day to day progress and work of the trainee.

The trainee also has a school mentor who observes every couple of weeks and does the official paperwork. They are also a sounding board and source of advice for teacher tutors if needed, and a shoulder to cry on for trainees.

Then university sends a 'professional mentor' to just make sure everything is fine and dandy and school are doing their job.

The first two (teacher tutor and mentor) could be the same person, but it is easier if they aren't. If there are problems it is also much easier to have two people sorting things out than just one.

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I have heard that students shouldn't teach PE without a qualified teacher present for insurance reasons.