1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is a swimming cossie really necessary for a 2 year old?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by tartetatin, Apr 16, 2012.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Just got a moment to post as in my usual poor time management mode, I'm posting before putting the lasagne in the oven instead of during!
    Anyway, someone on a parenting forum has just asked if a swim nappy will suffice for her 2 year old daughter at the local swimming pool, or if she should team it up with a swimming costume.
    I was the only one to respond that, in my opinion, a swim nappy alone is acceptable for a toddler.
    What say you?

2. In terms of modesty I'm sure that just a swim nappy is fine but in our local pools they like you to 'double up' with either a wetsuit type happy nappy or a swimsuit on top of a huggies swim nappy. This is because it reduces the likelyhood of leakages. My daughter is 19 months and wears a swim nappy then waterproof trunk things that we get from her Waterbabies swim lessons.
    I think we wore boys trunks until we were about 8! Maybe my Mum was just too mean to buy us cossies!

3. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I think a swim nappy on its own is absolutely fine, it's just personal preference whether you add a swimming costume as well. I like the tiny girls' costumes so my daughter wears one of those, she is still in 6-9 months at 16 months and it's very cute but probably not necessary! Maybe check with the pool to make sure what their policy is?

4. Wouldn't bother me - I'm a sucker for trunks with anchors on for my little boy! [​IMG] Girls' cossies however are a world of trouble to get on and off (and that's just on me!) - perhaps I wouldn't bother with a girl if i actually wanted any time in the pool!

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi folks and thanks for your replies.
    In fairness, I didn't think to ask whether it's out of modesty or leakage that they object so.
    Some tend to get a bee in their bonnets about things whereas I'm pretty laidback in the main [​IMG]

6. my little man wears a swimming nappy and wet suit type thing purely as he had a serious temperature problem when we took him swimming without. I know it sounds insane. Have never been so scared to watch my baby turn blue from his fingers and toes up towards his torso. Hmmmm won't do that again. - Having said that he would probably be fine now

7. I wouldnt take a 2 year old in just a swim nappy myself, nor would I take one to tge supermarket in just a nappy in hot weather. But then maybe I'm just uptight ;-)

8. There was a poo incident at my local pool and since then I have been extra careful. All the baby swimming classes require the double nappy system- normal nappy with an neoprene nappy cover on top- Splash about happy nappy I think are one brand. Just gives a little extra confidence leaks will be contained! I would happily take her in just the nappies.