1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is a single cyclist's life worth this madness, let alone the lives of others and animals?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, May 13, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48253277

This story is about thousands of mad cyclists who reasons best known to them them, thought it would be a brilliant idea to cause havoc in Birmingham, as incidentally they do every day of the week in London, oblivious to the side effects of their madness on the roads.

The story is about a cyclist who was killed when the roads were closed to all but mad cyclists. It wasn't just the guy who died. The pile up caused solely by mad cyclists resulted in sevaeral others getting injured and becoming a drain on the limited resources left for the NHS.

The story goes on to tell how, because the idiocy of closing the roads so these maniacs could attempt to do a pointless task resulted in a vet being unable to get to a horse and foal in time to save them from death.

It might also have been a woman in labour, delayed from getting to the hospital in time to save her life and that of her baby, but for what? So we can cater for the needs of idiotic cysclists to prove which of them can be the most arrogant in a race?

Do me a favour and tell me this madness is nothing more than a nightmare I've been having.

nomad and monicabilongame like this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

We get this madness every year in Surrey, and sometimes several times. And yes, ambulances have been held up getting to emergency call-outs because the roads have been closed. And yes, cyclists have died. And people effectively get corralled in their houses for the entire day because the roads right outside their houses are closed. And when the roads are not closed (for the 'smaller' cycle races) you get hundreds of cyclists right across the carriageways, cutting up horse riders on the inside, swerving all over the road, going straight through red lights, across pedestrian crossings while the pedestrians are in the middle of the road.... it's carnage. And that's just the organised ones.

nomad likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The alternative of course is to let motorists kill cyclists and then shrug their shoulders and go "these things happen"

Oldfashioned likes this.
  4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Arent roads regularly closed for hours on end after fatal car crashes?

studentcrisis likes this.
  5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

You prejudice is clear in the first few words and continues ...mad ...havoc ... madness ... mad ... mad ... idiocy ... maniacs ... pointless ... idiotic ... arrogant ... madness.
    It seems to be a particularly British thing to hate cyclists. Have a bit more tolerance.

drvs, yodaami2, colpee and 1 other person like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The event should have been interrupted to allow the vet to attend - those who refused to do this have questions to answer. I hope the horse's owners sue the police et al.

The cyclist who died was doing what he wanted to do, so a different matter.

NB Had I been the horse's owners I would have blocked the road to stop the event once it became clear that it, and all those taking part, had blood on their hands...

hhhh likes this.
  7. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

Are you in fact my MP? The similarities between your rant and his at a volunteer marshall at a running event that involved the road past his house being closed for a couple of hours are striking. Apparently no one had told him, despite their being signs up around town for weeks beforehand and the organisers leafleting affected houses. But then perhaps he was too busy representing the interests of the people of Moscow and Riyadh to actually be at home.

Have you ever tried to go into Birmingham city centre? When I have (as others have said) there are a large number of mad drivers sat in their cars not going anywhere, pumping pollution into the air which is shortening all our lives. Is it possible that by preventing this happening the cyclists are improving everyone's quality of life?

yodaami2 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's a video that's been on the news websites with a young medical student cycling on a road in London when a convertible comes round the corner on the wrong side of the road and sent him flying. The cyclist was badly hurt and had a bleed on the brain.

The driver of the convertible didn't even stop.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Chalk & cheese... The lady whose horses died lost them because of an organised event which could have been interrupted to allow a vet to come. The case you mention here sounds like a clear case of dangerous driving...Which is a crime.

10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The middle classes must have their leisure, don't you know, and right of way. Their arrogance, as also witnessed in the recent Extinction Rebellion nonsense, is one more sign of the growing inequality in Britain:

'Growing inequality threatens democracy'
    BBC.co.uk, 14th May 2019.

Sorry to hear about the death of that gentleman, and also those horses.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

One could argue that the trend to allow free passage of cyclists in my borough might encourage more pollution and aggression. Many main roads have been reduced in size to make way for cycleways which seem to have a minim number of customers. The result is dual width roads are reduced to one lane each way. All traffic now stops when bus stop to let on or off passengers, or a tradesman, due to no parking plonks himself outside a shop forcing all vehicles to go around him.
    Cyclists naturally do not, on the whole, seem to think anything should impede their progress and despite cycle paths will mix it with the traffic as a result one came a cropper because the tried to squeeze up between two cars when he abandoned the cycle path for the road. Daft as the path was clear yet this guy wanted to join in the melee, Yet at the time one can understand the frustration of other road users when stopped from progressing.
    Trouble is when the vehicle stops the fumes are still pumped out as many drivers still do not have stop /start technology, When released from the road words/blockage the drivers are keen and several cause minor problems in their haste to escape. Action? Reduce the speed to 20 Mph which means traffic slows as such speeds are enforced by speed cameras. All good you say but more cars in an area means more pollution, more waiting times and more risk from impatient /poor drivers.
    Yes, we realise some councils have sought to separate cyclists from other road users but some cyclists do not help themselves, and the measures to separate them is fueling a massive backlash from car drivers in particular. Mind you my borough is actively encouraging you to walk or cycle So I assume that all you might be able to do soon, or catch a bus and don't get me started on some of them at times lol

Unfortunately, the pedestrians have not been trained yet to cross the road correctly and we are breeding a Kamazaki breed which assumes the motorist will stop if the wander across without looking or waiting.

12. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Is there, in your opinion, a difference between cyclists using the roads either to get somewhere, or to have the equivalent of a stroll with their friends, and closing roads for some hours so they can be used for an event?

13. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Oh goody an anti-cyclist thread. I look forward to the usual short sighted responses and play ranty driver bingo.

They don't pay car tax- 3 points
    They don't stop at red lights- 1 point
    They cause more congestion- 2 points
    They don't wear helmets- 4 points
    They ride 2 or 3 abreast- 1 point
    They should pay to use the roads- 1 point
    etc

Yes the organisers made some mistakes but why shouldn't cyclists get to do an event like this? London closes for the marathon as do many cities. We can close roads for inbred royals to stroll around. We close roads for footballers to show a cup from the top of a bus. People are mown down by drivers daily and we shrug it off. What level of miserable must someone be to be so anti-cyclist?

14. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

We have become so car-centric the idea people might cycle seems abhorrent to many.

ajrowing likes this.
  15. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

It’s not anti cyclist ( I’m a cyclist myself)
    It’s anti hindering emergency and humanitarian services.

How much does the event pay the local council, police force etc for their costs? Were local people consulted and informed of emergency processes

My village is closed every year for a similar event we have not been consulted nor informed of the procedures etc in cases of emergency . Perhaps both of these would help.
    The first year we were informed of road closures just 2weeks before the event which wasn’t helpful for the on call midwife or for the couple who were getting married in the village church .

16. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

I am confused. Are you a cyclist? You say that cyclists don't like their progress being impeded, the implication being that this is a bad thing, and yet most of the rest of the rant you seem to be complaining about your progress being impeded.

yodaami2 likes this.
  17. studentcrisis

studentcrisis New commenter

I wonder if the road closures for the London Marathon or similar on-foot events have had similar consequences? Strange how the blame seems focussed on the cyclists taking part and not the people disorganised enough to look up alternative routes before travel.

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well, we're not going to agree.
    How about we put the matter to rest once and for all, and just all walk. All of us. Everywhere.
    You wouldn't even need the horses then.

19. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Why should they? You list a handful of other reasons for closing roads which, although I don't agree with those either, at least they do not close 100 miles of roads at a time. Classic car rallies can't have the roads closed, so why should cyclists?

20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

In my case, arthritis, since you ask.