1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is a PGDE worth it?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by peanut333, Jan 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. peanut333

peanut333 New commenter

Hello, I'm new to TES

I'm currently undergoing interviews for my PGCE, so far 2 interviews and 2 offers - YAY!
    My next interview is actually for a 120 credit PGDE course.
    I initially applied for this thinking it would be my first choice because in a sea of newly qualified teachers I want to stand out as the best and thought having a PGDE over a PGCE is definitely going to help me to do that. I'm also considering turning these credits into a full masters in the future years.

BUT I have never heard anyone say a PGCE is anywhere close to easy, in fact, "the hardest year of my life" is what I usually hear when I say PGCE, so now the thought of a qualification which is twice the work is becoming a bit daunting. Of course if in the long run it's going to put me in a better position for getting a job then I'm up for the challenge, but if it's not really going to help me, I don't want to put myself through unnecessary extra stress.

Just wondered if anyone has any advice?

Thank you! :)

2. IlMentore

IlMentore New commenter

I should preface this by admitting that I never heard of a PGDE until just now. That said...

I don't know about anyone else, but I have found that you learn far more at the front of a classroom than you do in PGCE lessons, so I cannot imagine that a PGDE will prepare you to teach any better. If you want to stand out, work on your subject knowledge and personal qualities. English or maths teachers willing to run a D&D group one evening a week stand out, computing teachers who have worked in computing stand out, someone who walked out of school into a degree and then onto a PGCE without ever seeing the world outside academia... not so much. It shows devotion, but you will (as you suggest) get lost in a sea of recent graduates only differentiated by their subject.

And yes, PGCE is far from easy despite being ungraded. I found the jumping through hoops worse than the academic side though, trying to get logs signed and lessons observations which evidence half a dozen pedagogic theories at once. That said, the things you hate about PGCE will likely be the things you hate about teaching.

3. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 New commenter

I had quite a different experience of my PGCE. I had been teaching for almost a year in an FE college prior to starting my PGCE. I did it part time over two years and found that gqathering the evidence for hours and observations quite easy as i had a high teaching load. I also found the academic side quite easy and it really didn't take up too much of my time. I imagine my expereince is very different to what you would have if you studied this full time over a year.