1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is a PGCE really as bad as people say it is? How to handle it?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by ElDev, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Hi all, new here.

I'm looking to begin a PCGE in Secondary English teaching in September. I decided this would be a great career path, but then I began reading about actually doing the PGCE, and there seems to be more negativity than positivity. How you won't have a social life out of it, how there's so much pressure and expectation, how so many people drop out in the first semester alone, how you get so little sleep, the usual.

Now, I'm 29 years old, I've already been to Uni twice (including to do a Master's) so I'm experienced with having a big workload academically. I also work in a very stressful job where there's a lot of pressure on me. How would I manage?

Thanks for any pointers.

MathMan1 likes this.
  2. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

Rather than trust to luck to receive a reply to your post, why not grab a cuppa and spend a few minutes (or hours possibly) looking back through the previous posts about just this issue, in the 'thinking about teaching' sub-forum.

You'll read a useful to and fro of comments, but remember, it depends a lot upon the permutations of primary/secondary, travelling times to schools, age of candidate, reasons for taking PGCE, recent prior experience in a school, ability with chosen subject, comfort with teaching pupils who might not be the slightest bit interested in said subject.

As you can probably guess from the above, there's no, one answer to your question, but you might garner some useful info from doing the above work.

3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

If you're unsure whether you want to teach or not, I'd advise against entering the profession. You won't have much time for a social life but you will have to earmark some time each week for doing something you enjoy (that isn't school related) to protect your mental health. If you can cope with a bit of pressure and are well-organised, you'll cope with the PGCE.

4. janina_knight

janina_knight New commenter

It is hard work and you have to be resilient as well as willing to take feedback on board. I have a lot of teaching experience (TEFL) and I have found it surprisingly demanding but it is definitely worthwhile and I have learnt a lot.