1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is a parent permitted to know GCSE results of a 16 yo?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by JasperLily, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Our 16 year old daughter recently threw a teenaged tantrum over house rules and left to stay with her friend. She's currently refusing to communicate with us so discussing GCSE results with her is not likely to happen in the near future. In the meantime I'm in contact with a related agency where her future education has been very much a topic of discussion and concern.
    As I have parental responsibility for my child am I able to be informed of her GCSE results by the school or another agency or will any privacy legislation prevent this?
    Thank you in advance.

2. Our 16 year old daughter recently threw a teenaged tantrum over house rules and left to stay with her friend. She's currently refusing to communicate with us so discussing GCSE results with her is not likely to happen in the near future. In the meantime I'm in contact with a related agency where her future education has been very much a topic of discussion and concern.
    As I have parental responsibility for my child am I able to be informed of her GCSE results by the school or another agency or will any privacy legislation prevent this?
    Thank you in advance.

3. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

AFAIK, as your daughter is under 18 and is not in formal fostering, you have every right.

4. Thank you very much.

5. You could collect them yourself from the school! And ask her for an apology before giving them to her...

6. ott

ott

If a parent comes into our school to collect the GCSE results they have to have a letter of consent from their son/daughter. The results are the candidates!

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

At A level hey are (mostly) adults...but at 16 they are not. So I think your school is part of the problem in unempowering parents....In fact you are probably at least 50% responsible for the recent riots, IMHO [​IMG]

8. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Sorry to hear of your troubles - but presumably she is staying with friend + friend's parents? In which case you can hope they won't put her up for very long! I have four teenagers of my own and would be very reluctant to shelter someone else's offspring for more than the odd night, particularly in the current financial climate. I assume she is not paying rent, contribution to council tax, utilities or for food? Unless they have always, always wanted another surly teen permanently in their home to be a further financial burden upon them, then with any luck they will shortly be making suggestions to her that she patches things up with her own loving parents and returns to living under your roof. Even if she has moved in with girl/boy friend presumably SOMEONE else is financially keeping her? And will get tired of it? Good luck!