1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is a global recession on the way?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jan 11, 2016.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The RBS is shouting for investors a to start selling stuff off and housing prices are about to jolt downwards......wonder what its going to do to my pension.they already pay zero interest in savings and bank charges in some banks are rising to meet declared costs....bet your life they will be hitting the teacher next in the pocket.
    Dam why is it when you have something planned the world goes upside down!:(

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Property prices, particularly in the higher priced areas are long overdue some kind of correction, they create wide disparity across the UK which effectively acts as a property ownership exclusion zone for many.
    It is not your pension that is in immediate danger, it is your savings and the actual value of those savings as our currency lowers in value. It has been the intention for some time now to reduce the value of the pound and therein reduce the value of our indebtedness to those we have borrowed from.
    They will hit the poorest the hardest as usual with the middle classes next. The middle class may cease to exist and we will be left with 'haves and have nots'.
    So, be quick, get that holiday booked, max out the credit cards, borrow and borrow again while the party lasts.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Many predictions of this since early last year. Banks to blame yet again but as they are in cahoots with HMG it will be us that suffer, again.

lexus300 likes this.
  4. johnnymitchell

johnnymitchell Established commenter

Where is the link to this story please?

5. oldsomeman

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Look on the bright side. London house prices will be cushioned from any jolt more than the ret of the country so you could snap up a bargain.

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I thought we had been some degree of recession since 1972, when unemployment first topped a million for the first time since the War.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well it's been 8 years since the last one... and we took little action to ensure another one didn't hit [IMO]... so yeah, wouldn't be surprised.

lexus300 likes this.
  10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Recessions come around about every decade, it seems. (Any luck with finding a job, @lanokia?)

11. oldsomeman

Not so sure.looking my local estate agents window yesterday the house price seemed to have dropped by £50,000 or so.The price of renting however has risen.probably landlords getting ready for the loss of profits enforced by the goverment.Mine is a cheaper area of London but a on bed roomed flat is renting for £1300-1500 a month.What teacher can afford that? There are rooms available at about £150 a week advertised.

12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I thought you were looking to buy out of London?

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Be careful JR., facts such as these may cloud the issue.:)

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Stay in London please, anywhere north of Watford gap does not need house price inflation caused by such moves

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

16. oldsomeman

Cheers matey.do you not want me to move to my homelands and bring culture back up North snigger
    And i thought you lot on here were trying to get me to move so i could become rich.....to think get £600,000 for the house,buy one up north for £150.000,yah i could travel the world on the rest.Just have to persuade the wife!

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I think you may have sufficiently inflicted yourself on those tolerant and northern loving southerners by now,;)

19. johnnymitchell

Good grief.

And you're complaining about a recession?

Truly a case of how the other half lives.

lanokia likes this.
  20. johnnymitchell

It might be a good time to look at who is telling you to do this and why.

RBS say you should cash out of shares and buy high quality bonds. All this means is that they have bonds to flog. Look at the record of wealth advisors up to the 2008 crash. Even when they knew sub prime was toxic they still advised their clients to buy into it so that they would get their commission. The only certain thing about the stock market is that it goes up and down. If you're investing for the long term today's price doesn't matter.

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.