1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is a full GCSE ICT possible in 2 lessons a week in year 11 only?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by agiuga, Jun 27, 2019.

1. agiuga

agiuga New commenter

Hi

I have just started in a new school teaching Computer Science. The head says that some pupils have completed a short course ICT GCSE and cashed it in. He is asking me if it is possibleto teach them the full course next year bearing in mind they have studied the theory for Unit 1 already? I am thinking that preparing and doing the two controlled assessments will take say 15 weeks of that. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Secondly the only resources they have are Office 2007 and windows Moviemaker. I think I will need something like DreamWeaver, Flash and Photo editing software to work in layers. Any help/ advice on what software I need would be great.

Thanks everyone.

2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

I didn’t think short course ICT existed!

3. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

"....DreamWeaver, Flash and Photo editing software ... ...two controlled assessments ...." This really does sound like ICT! Have we slipped back through a time warp?

I have a year 12 student who did, apparently, study 'ICT O-level' overseas. He started the A-level knowing no Computer Science. I would assume that the class in question know half that! Avoid CS with them if at all possible.

If, on the other hand, we are talking about taking them through to Full Course ICT then, yes, quite doable if it is as trivial as the old OCR Full Course. In fact, the short course felt like 2/3 of the work. Quite easy to do the (single) full course project and theory in two terms of two hours a week.

4. agiuga

agiuga New commenter

It is the WJEC Course. Wondering if I can get away with GIMP and Kompozer on a portable apps USB. Any Open source animation software any good?

5. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

I don't know the WJEC requirements, but GIMP + Kompozer would have been an ideal start for the old OCR Full Course project. I used to do a bit of sound work with Audacity and trans-code some videos with WinFF. I had a very simple piece of free software to make animated gifs - sorry, can't remember its name. Students did the web testing by uploading to a LAMP server on my laptop - saves getting the tech staff involved - and viewing on a range of devices. This was quite enough for full marks on the OCR web project.