1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is a fractional contract the same as a fixed term contract?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by noreend, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Is a fractional contract the same as a fixed term contract? I have resigned from my college and intend to leave teaching but I don't have another job yet. My college have asked if I would consider a fractional contract if I don't have another post on 30th April, to cover my own classes until Whit half term.

Another question - would a fractional contract involve attendance in college at any other time expect the specific lessons I would teach?

Any advice gratefully accepted - can't find anything on this thread about this.

2. Is a fractional contract the same as a fixed term contract? I have resigned from my college and intend to leave teaching but I don't have another job yet. My college have asked if I would consider a fractional contract if I don't have another post on 30th April, to cover my own classes until Whit half term.

Another question - would a fractional contract involve attendance in college at any other time expect the specific lessons I would teach?

Any advice gratefully accepted - can't find anything on this thread about this.

3. No, they're not the same thing, but it sounds like yours would be both fractional & fixed-term.

What would be expected of you, I would imagine, is a matter of negotiation.

4. snoopycat

snoopycat New commenter

Hi noreed,
    I'm in exactly the same position as you are. I can find little or nothing about it.
    Sounds a bit insecure.....what do you think?

5. snoopycat

snoopycat New commenter

ntmiutb,
    You sound like you know lots about this.
    Can you tell me more please? I don't wish to go part time as I think they get a very raw deal.
    Do I have to ask for the Fixed Term part of it? I need security!

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Many 'fractional' or part -time teachers are permanent and not on fixed term contracts.