1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is a certificate worth £500+

Discussion in 'Primary' started by School Boy Error, Apr 28, 2011.

1. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

A couple of years ago I looked into working towards the ICT mark and quickly discovered it cost £500 for the assessor to come out to decide whether or not we were good enough. My choice was a new computer or work towards the mark. We bought a new computer.
    Now I have just seen the 360 degree safe e-safety mark so thought I'd have a look and see what that entailed. Within a few minutes I've discovered that it will cost us £600 to be assessed for this award so I will look no further into it.
    Am I the only person that thinks, in this time of financial hardship, paying £500+ for an award, which, in terms of teaching and learning, is essentially useless, is absolutely ridiculous?

2. I agree with you completely.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

As do I, I also seriously question the value for money of these marks in terms of the time spent applying for them.
    With regard to the ICT mark my head tried to get me to pursue it a few years ago, I was already using the SRF to check out what BECTA was thinking and advised against it, head insisted, so I produced an 8 page action plan based on the SRF, with details of what the school (not just the ICT coordinator) would have to do to achieve the mark. Heard nothing about it again.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

We started working towards the BECTA mark but we quickley ran out of steam. So glad now as BECTA are being disbanded. What a waste of time that would have been.
    However, I don't mind so much spending time on applying for things that I care about such as the P.E. / active school mark.

5. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

It's not bad practice to go through these review frameworks as a means of self evaluation but I really disagree with having to pay so much for someone to check that you have done it. Because, essentially, if they say yes you're doing brilliantly you've just paid £500 for a certificate.