1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is a 6b at the end of year 9 in English 'struggling'?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by nihonteach, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I'm primary trained and have signed up to do some private tutoring. I've just had my first enquiry and this mother wants me to support her daughter for the next 2 years for 2 hours a week (much needed extra income to my family). I have yet to meet her and don't want to come across as illinformed. Could someone guide me on a low/intermediate and high level for year 9 so I know where I am?

Thanks in advance

2. I'm primary trained and have signed up to do some private tutoring. I've just had my first enquiry and this mother wants me to support her daughter for the next 2 years for 2 hours a week (much needed extra income to my family). I have yet to meet her and don't want to come across as illinformed. Could someone guide me on a low/intermediate and high level for year 9 so I know where I am?

Thanks in advance

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sorry not clear. Is this girl at the end of yr 9 or is she in yr 7 and this his her target for yr 9? Also is she in a comp or a Gammar/Private school?

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

And if she is in yr 9 what was her KS3 target?

5. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

I would say that a 6b would be on the just above side of average in year 9, but as previous posters have implied it will depend on the context of the pupil/school/ prior attainment etc.
    She would then be looking at a C or above at GCSE, prob a B being the most likely target grade (ie a small number with that level may get A*, some with that level would get A, most would get B, some would get C, a few would get D).

6. Thank you for the input. I have now spoken to the mum again whose daughter is going into KS4 and is a 6b. It seems her younger brother is a high achiever and mum is anxious that her daughter needs to build confidence, improve exam technique and her grasp of grammar. I am also trying to get syllabus details from the school. Ideally, I would like to speak to her current class teacher but am not sure of the protocol. I don't want to overstep any boundaries and want to be prepared with relevant resources when we start our sessions at the end of term.

7. She is at a comprehensive.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'd expect a 6B to be very easily capable of C, fairly capable of B and with enough effort and support, have some prospect of an A.