1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is 50 Too Old?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Koshkat, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Koshkat

Koshkat New commenter

I am approaching 50 and have been an English teacher since I was 25. I am hoping to switch my career path and become a TA/HLTA as I want a new challenge and know I would enjoy this as I spent a year as a TA early on in my career. I know it is a career shift and I know it is a tough job as schools tighten their budgets and ask for more and more from support staff.

I am, however, a little worried that at 50 I may be seen to be a bit old to be a TA. I certainly know that going for a teaching job at my age would be difficult as so many schools seem to be biased against older teachers.

Can anyone advise? I think I have a good skill set and can offer English, drama, singing and dance on top of the duties of a TA role.

2. Koshkat

Koshkat New commenter

Sorry - I meant to say that I am a secondary teacher hoping to move to work at primary level.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

You're definitely not too old! I was a TA for many years and was 52 (I think) when i qualified with HLTA status. This opened many new doors for me and I'm still working 10 years on.

If you secure a HLTA role in primary, you will need to be prepared to cover PPA. Many HLTAs now spend much, if not all, of their time doing this. I cover Y6 regularly one day a week, sometimes more. I plan my regular day; any additional time is planned by the class teacher.

The salary is another consideration. At a rough estimate, a full time HLTA role will pay you approximately the same as a 3 day a week teaching post - could be 2.5 days, depending on where you live and work.

Having said that, I've always loved my HLTA role - and still do. So, if you decide it's what you want - go for it. Very best of luck!

Marieeeee likes this.
  4. Koshkat

Koshkat New commenter

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom. I really do think that I am going to go for it!

sunshineneeded likes this.
  5. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

I certainly don't think you are too old - I am older than you and contemplating a similar move due to the appalling behaviour at secondary!!

Marieeeee likes this.
  6. idlanda11

idlanda11 New commenter

Please assist am new to the forum.I want to know if chubby cheeks nursery is a good place to do CACHE level 2.Though I have paid the registration fee with high fliers academic institute am thinking of switching to chubby cheeks because is cheaper.I really need someone who knows the two centres to advise me.

7. handee2

handee2 New commenter

I want to endorse comments about 50 not being too old to be a TA. I moved primary schools this September and my current TA is in her 60s and is the best one I have ever had in my thirty years of teaching. I also switched from secondary English to teaching primary when I was 50 and it was the best thing \I ever did in my career. Good luck.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  8. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

I have employed people who have retired from other professions as TAs. Some were over 60.