1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is 5 mornings teaching 0.5 or 0.6 contract

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by alibingo24, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I am soon to be returning to my 0.5 contract in primary school after maternity leave I used to work two full days and one morning session but a new head has been appointed and wants me to return 5 mornings. The morning session is 3hrs 15 and afternoons are 2hrs therefore is it now more than a 0.5 contract? Not very happy as it has impkications for childcare and whole point of me going part time was to have days free with my boys but obviously need to return for the money.

2. coppull

coppull New commenter

Clearly the new HT will have not worked out that you will not be attending any after school meetings in the afternoon at the school,because you are not paid to work afternoons[​IMG]
    Could you not discuss this matter with your colleague ,who works in the afternoon and split the week in two ?

3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Yes it is a 0.6 contract so you should be paid more.

4. Just quickly calculated it as .62 and that is assuming that your ppa is contained within the mornings and doesn't need to be added on.
    Are you happy to work 5 mornings instead of 2 full days and one half? It's a very big change of commitment, which you may not wish to take on.

5. Just read your post again. Do not agree to the change. Changes can only be made in consultation and by agreement of both parties.
    Contact your union. At the worst case, they will have to make your p/t post redundant and then re-advertise for a post that is clearly stated as 5 mornings a week contract (NOT 0.5 as five mornings can work out to lots of different numbers). Contrary to belief the Unions are often very good at sensitive negotiations of this kind and try hard to resolve these problems without confrontation.Making your p/t post redundant just when you return from Mat leave is not going to look good. Usually it is just that the HT has no idea of employment law - so they just make it up as they go along. Some clear advice and guidance for your HT is what is needed.
    Its depressing to hear these situations are repeated endlessly. HTs think that part-time means anytime I want to get them in. The sheer arrogance of the assumption that p/t staff do nothing for the rest of the week and therefore can just swap days and work patterns without consultation is just astonishing.
    This HT needs advice and guidance in employment law and the Teachers conditions of service. In my mind, anyone attempting to run a school without this knowledge should be put on capability forthwith. If the boot was on the other foot - they wouldn't hesitate.

6. No Im not very happy with the change as it means childcare will now have to be paid for at least
    2 mornings that I would have been free for and also will not prob get away from school til after 1 once marking and planning covered it is not a job share as such I will be taking Maths accross the school. Thanks for your replies I dont wanr to rock the boat with new head before I even start but will contact union and see what they suggest

7. I am in a similar situation to you in that I have applied for a 0.5 position, but the paperwork is conflicting, suggesting 5 mornings. I have been asked to attend an interview (wooo!) so will wait until (if!) they offer the position before asking questions but I will be interested to know where they will factor in PPA and if its actually a 0.6 post.

8. coppull

coppull New commenter

Remember if you are not working in the afternoons,you cannot go to all the meetings that some schools organize at the end of the day.[​IMG]

9. Well - yes you can. If it is a day you normally work on - then you can be required to attend meetings and parents evenings on that day.
    You will be well and truly shafted by changing to 5 mornings.

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

No they cant,you could have another job in the afternoon.

11. Lost you somewhat. If you have another job in the afternoon then you would have two conflicting possible requirements to attend meetings and parents evenings. NOT a justification for not doing either of them.

The contract is quite clear. I think the wording is something like "teachers cannot be required to attend meetings or sessions on days that they do not normally work". Anything else can be required ( subject to directed time obv)

In the double-booked case, you would have to invoke the 'reasonable-ness' of any request. It would be clearly unreasonable to be expected to be at two schools simutaneously and a negotiation would need to happen.