1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is 3 failed interviews a lot?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Niali, Mar 16, 2012.

1. I got my post on my 8th interview so no its not a lot at all! Keep plugging away and you'll get there! x

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I got a post on interview number 4. There were only 2 candidates at interview number 4 though so I think myself very lucky!!

You will learn from each interview and get better but I know people who have been for 20 interviews before getting work. Quite often the school just get a feel for someone and there will be a school out there for you.

Good luck

3. I got my job after 6 interviews, and it took me about a year to get all of those (I'm starting my induction after Easter, after finishing the PGCE in July 2011) Keep plugging away and you'll get there.

4. Pot luck! Can take ages and it does even for superb candidates. Certain schools want certain things. Not personal, it's just different each time. Don't worry and plug on!

5. I qualified in 1999.
    I applied for every job going in my home town (not where I'd trained)
    I had 17 interviews. Nothing major each time, just I was the 2nd choice. I kept plugging away, going to interview after intervew after interview. Feedback was completely unhelpful. "You only just missed out", "the other person had more experience"
    To be honest, I thought the fact that I'd trained away from home made a difference as they didn't "know" the course. Actually, that's only 1 of the hundred things that went through my head. Mainly thoughts of wasting 3 years of my life, can't afford to go back to uni, what would I do anyway, why am I so ****, etc? The worst moment was after "coming 2nd" - again - I broke down in tears in front of the headteacher. Great. My mom and dad were waiting outside for me to see their daughter come out from the school with mascara smeared down her face. I actually thought about jacking it all in. I was so depressed.
    Then my parents dropped the bombshell that they were moving out of the area with my dad's job and didn't know where they would be moving to. It could be anywhere in the UK. I had no idea what to do next, should I risk staying in my home town and becoming homeless with no job? I decided to give it 1 term of continuing to apply in my home town but to also apply for any job that said NQT anywhere in the country.
    I did that, and in total I attended 34 interviews. I can't even begin to tell you how soul destroying it was. My two housemates from university had been working since the September they qualified and were living close to each other in London. During a phone call with one of them, I confided that I was thinking that the next job I went for and didn't get would be the last one and I'd have to look elsewhere and rethink my life. She posted me a job that had been advertised in the local paper near her. Ironically, I'd decided not to focus my search in that area. Don't know why. As you can imagine, my brain was not really functioning properly and I was depressed.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, I applied for this job, got an interview, and GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!! It was for 2 terms only (up to the September) but I didn't care. It was a job - doing what I'd spent 3 years training to do, and my whole life wanting to do. The class I got were bloody awful. I hit the ground running, had a crappy NQT year, but kept going.
    Now, I've worked continuously since I got "the job", only taking short breaks to have my children and a short spell working part-time. I am now on the SMT of a large infant school, where I manage the foundation stage.
    Never give up. This is what you love to do. Never ever give up.
    A little addition to this story is that within 6 weeks of moving to my new location (close to my best friends from uni), I met my lovely husband.
    It's not what happens to you, it's how you deal with it.
    Ironically, every job I've applied for since getting the first one, I've been successful at interview in. Practice makes perfect, hey?
    [​IMG]