1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is 25 hours full time school hours??

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by SqueezyB, Jun 12, 2012.

1. SqueezyB

SqueezyB New commenter

I've got an interview this week for a TA position - it would be the first time I have worked as a TA so I'm a bit clueless about the ins and outs of it all.
    I am a bit confused about the hours - the job is advertised as 'part time' 25 hours. The advert stated the start time would be 8.30. I was assuming it would be perhaps 5 days at 8.30 to 1.30 or 4 days.
    However since doing some looking around it seems 25 hours is classed as full time school hours - is that right?
    But there are also adverts for similar roles in other primary schools on the LA website described as 'full time' which are 32.5 hours!
    If it's full time school hours then I don't know if it will be worth it for me - I have a 4yo who will be starting at the school but I also have a 2 year old who I will need to arrange childcare for. I called the school but the secretary was really vague and just said there are several posts in different classes and the hours will vary for each.
    Any ideas? I am in Herts if that helps...

2. philaw

philaw New commenter

I worked as a TA in loads of places, and remember 27.5 hours being standard. I think the idea was that 9-5 is 40hrs/week. If you take out an hour for lunch it becomes 35. If you finish at 3.30 instead of five it becomes 27.5.

Their maths is obviously slightly different, but it'll be something like that. My memories of being a TA are enjoying my job more than the teachers, getting home early, and being broke. If that sounds appealing, sign yourself up.

3. I'm full time 35 hours.

4. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

25 hours sounds like the hours the children are actually having lessons in the week - no-one is paid for their lunch break (this applies to virtually all jobs, not just school ones) and in some schools break times are unpaid for TAs (you cannot, therefore, be expected to cover playground duty, first aid or anything else in this time if this is the case.)
    The hours may also exclude daily assembly so pupils could be in school from 9 till 3.30 every day but this 6.5 hours could exclude 1 hour for lunch, a 15 minute break and a 15 minute assembly every day - you may well have to be in school from 9 till 3.30 but only paid for 5 hours a day. My understanding is that this kind of contract had become less common than it used to be when I first started working in education, but, with the pressure on school budgets, it would not surprise me if heads are bringing it back - I have known TAs who were only paid for 15 hours a week but these hours were spread in such a way that they were at school most of the day (eg paid 9.30 to 11.30 and then 1 till 2 so ended up in school from 9.15 till 2.15 or so as it wasn't practical to go home from 11.30 till 1 o'clock.)
    Oh, sorry, just realised that you said it would start at 8.30 so, obviously, my example of a 25 hour week wouldn't apply in your case - best thing would be to simply phone the school and ask how the hours are distributed.

5. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

A normal working week in most jobs is taken to be 35 hours, not including lunch breaks etc. These are the people working the average 9 to 5.
    Most TA positions will be less than that so are classed as part time and are usually between 25 and 35 hours. Although to confuse things the school may well have some staff on a 5 day, 25 hour week and call them full time people (coz they are there every day) and call other people who just do mornings or 3 days a week part time. Technically though, they are all part time and their pay will be pro rata from the underlying full time rate.

6. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

And another apology - you've had no joy from phoning school! 32.5 hours is generally classed as 'full-time' TA hours although HLTAs may work longer. It is possible that you may not be required every day but I would suspect it more likely that you would finish early on at least one day - it would be reasonable to ask at the interview what possible work pattern is envisaged.

7. SqueezyB

SqueezyB New commenter

thanks all- gosh, it's confusing!
    Hmm, looking at the school prospectus, there is one 15 minute break, one 15 minute assembly and 1 hour lunch. If that's not included then 8.30 to 3.15 works out as 5.15 hours a day. The afternoon session is 2 hours, so I guess it could possibly be 4 full days and one half day...
    I guess I'll get a more specific answer on Thursday!
    And don't even get me started on trying to work out the pay...

8. 32.5 hours is full time for TA's here (County Council). Though in the City Council it is 37 hours.
    Wren

9. Hello everyone. I know this question isn't relevant to this topic, but I really need some advice please! I applied for a job during the holidays online and the closing date was last Friday. I went to look round the school a few weeks ago and they said they will be short listing this week. I am just wondering because I haven't heard anything yet. Does that mean I have been unsuccessful? Aargh I'm so desperate for this job! Im worrying so much I feel ill

10. This weekisn't half way through yet! Be patient!!! They may not have even started shortlisitng yet - and if they are like schools round here, then they will haveanything btween 50-200 applications to go through!
    If you haven't heard by the end of next week, then I would assume you've been unsuccessful.
    Wren