1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is 10k dirhams a month (£2k) a small monthly salary for a teacher in an international school in UAE?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by secretnerd123, Mar 3, 2019.

1. secretnerd123

secretnerd123 New commenter

I received a job in Sharjah ([This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]) . will have a free apartment and medical bill but my mum is worried that this seems to be a small monthly salary. I grew up in London and I have never worked as a paid teacher before (I am on my primary pgce).

Is this normal? I was expecting atleast £3000

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

And NQT in inner city London earns £29 664 gross, and you'll take home £23,554. This means £1,963 in your pocket a month. So its more and you get free accomodation which is a BIG saving.

But as you have said, "I have never worked as a paid teacher before", why would you be expecting the good salaries?

secretnerd123 likes this.
  3. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

£3000/month tax free for a person with ZERO experience in today's economic climate - - - it is a hard push these days. Maybe 8 - 10 - 15 years ago.. Countries are more educated and savvy about how much should international teachers get. Hence the mandatory noterisation processes countries are now demanding.

4. secretnerd123

thats true but I thought it was way more there for some reason.

5. dumbbells66

There are places where the starting point on the salary scale is over £5000 a month tax free, but with your lack of experience they will be totally oit of your reach.
    You will earn more than in the UK, although thats not hard. We all had to start somewhere. Do your time, learn what it is to be a teacher and then you will be able to move up into the good money.

teachtronic likes this.
  6. dumbbells66

What you have to think about is what your big saving is. In London and out of that £1,963 after tax, you would have to be paying rent. Its expensive in London we all know that. You would not be left with much at the end of the month.

The school in the UAE is offering you £2k a month and covering your rent. So at the end of the month you will have a hell of a lot more money in the bank than someone working and living in London

7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I have 30 years experience (16 international) and was considering a job last year at €2k take home plus normal overseas benefits. So for zero experience I would say £2k is fair enough.

hitherejen and dumbbells66 like this.
  8. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Almost sounds like the top of the range for the MoE instead of a real international teachers package.

But education is big business now and purely for big big profits, therefore teachers are been offered lower salaries in an ever downwards cycle.

I am surprised you are not been offered shared accommodation to reduce costs even further. I will not be surprised soon if all teachers in UAE don't end up wearing flip flops.

9. dumbbells66

Apart from all those non profit schools you mean ;)

10. february31st

These are like finding unicorn ****!

rednelly84 likes this.
  11. dumbbells66

You are not looking in the right place....i know plenty of them

12. february31st

By Chinese law all private schools in China have to be “none profit” making.

But for every true “not for profit” school left over from the time of the dinosaurs there must be 100 ”for profit” schools. Just look at all the nice rent-a-name schools opening up around the world.

Salaries in China have been reduced by 25% over the last several years, the same is true in other countries and the ME is a good example.

13. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I would say that 10k plus accommodation is becoming a new normal, I hear of more and more schools offering this kind of package on the last 12-18 months. There seems to be a lot more schools opening and many expats in the oil industry etc have left so I guess student numbers are down.

You could live well on that depending in the kind of lifestyle you have and still save something, but there are people earning quite a bit more still.

14. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It's very unusual for a school to take someone on with no non-training teaching experience and so this be will the major factor in how much money you can command in your first role. With so much of the year left to find people, I would question why the school is willing to take someone with no experience. It may be that they have an excellent support system in place for NQTs, or it may be that they can't find abovea else to work for them. I would look more at what the experience can offer you in your first role than the money you're being paid. Think of it as a foot in the door.

15. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

The O/P should avoid any school that would employ him!

Employing someone who isn’t trained or experienced? In an Arab country? How many other “teachers” will be there in a similar boat? Is education on the owners’ minds, or profit? Do they know what standards are?

rednelly84 and fullblownattack63 like this.
  16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The OP should also not name specific schools or the TES Mods will delete him.

17. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

I would advise you against doing your PGCE in a foreign country. I think its better for your long term employment prospects to stay put for a few years. Dubai isn't all brunches and Porsches these days; the work/life balance can be just as bad as in the UK.

I spent 7 tough but happy years in London (NQT > Subject Lead> Head of Department) and have just moved to Qatar for my first international year teaching.I love most aspects of my new life and plan to stay here for the long run. However it was easy for me to make that decision as I work at one of the best schools in Doha and I take home much more than 2000GBP a month (after tutoring its nearly double that for me monthly).

Have a big think before you commit. By all means listen to your mum but remember if you want to do this you are basically ditching your family and friends to start life anew.

18. secretnerd123

I'm doing my pgce year so according to your logic, NQTs shouldn't be hired because of their lack of experience

19. secretnerd123

I'm on my pgce trainning year. I just haven't worked full time as a PAID teacher yet.

also, the school doesn't support NQTs :(

20. JimmySmith19

JimmySmith19 New commenter

Hi SecretNerd,
    I was in your position two years ago. I was finishing my PGCE and didn't want to teach in the UK (after seeing how bad the status quo was). I went to Moscow for my first international post and had a great time. However, the school was unorganised and had many, many problems. I agree with what people are saying that no good school would want to hire you (no offence). They might see you as a cheap hire, someone they could take advantage of, or a stop gap. However, for your first job, you should be looking at getting your foot in the international door and not focusing too much on the wage. The first contract will be the hardest one to get and most likely will have major challenges. The jobs after will be easier to get, as you have more exp. You need to do your homework on the school and find out how bad (or maybe good you never know) the school is... Due diligence and all. Be aware of what you are signing up for and think to yourself, "am I able to put up with these conditions for a year or two?" If not then don't do it and go to another school.

On a side note, I didn't do my NQT year and I'm not sure I would have hugely benefited from it. Not because I think I'm a great teacher, but because I learned so much in that first international job. Plus I've heard some horror stories about people doing their NQT's and heads taking advantage of them for their own ends (delaying completion, so they have to stay an additional year).