1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is 10 hours maths per week too much?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Jul 14, 2011.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

Just a quick question. Is 10 hours per week too much for Y10/Y11 students studying maths every week? In particular if it was borderline students. I think it is a bit excessive. Are there any reports that too much study like this has a negative impact.

2. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

As a well managed intervention for a short period - ok
    For a term or more - too much
    IMO

3. pencho

pencho New commenter

If I said it was for all year?

4. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

You must be joking!
    Haven't they got other subjects to study?

5. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

10 hours per week, and still didn't get a C...[​IMG]

6. By that logic they are being given 6 academic years to complete a GCSE.
    I can only think of 2 reasons 10 hours wuld be allocated.
    (i) SLT are purely data focused and *must* get their quota of A*-C and cannot get kids to work at home
    (ii) The kids do GCSE maths, additional maths, GCSE stats and have enrichment lessons.
    I doubt it will be the latter.

7. I'd be grateful if my KS4 could just get their three hours every week without the disruptions of coursework catch-ups and trips out.

8. Many other nations do more than an hour a day of Maths. But then, many other nations' children spoend longer at school or consider "subjects" like RE, PE and Arts to be recreational activities that are undertaken in the child's own time. And as for PSHE/Citizenship, those are considered to be the responsibility of the children's families.
    Personally, given the behaviour of many students in England, I would not want 10 hours with them, regardless of how beneficial it might be for the school's statisitics.

cyolba, confused as toi where all the Maths teachers are coming from to support this expansion of curcciular time :)

9. How about 3 or 4 hours of timetabled lessons per week plus an hour every morning before school, one to two hours every afternoong after school and three hours every saturday, plus expected to complete one hour per day at home and the weekend before the exam, two full days on a residential trip!
    I make that somewhere in the region of 23+ hours per week!

10. What is your reaction to maths lessons being 2 hours long in Y10 and 11? I think it is unreasonable but I don't have evidence.

11. DM

DM New commenter

In what way in this"unreasonable"? If a school wants to timetable long blocks (presumably your SLT believes this will allow students more time to explore topics to achieve a deeper understanding?) they are perfectly entitled to do so.

12. I assumed students would not be able to concentrate for this length of time. If not then behaviour would deteriorate?
    Have you taught 2hr maths lessons and found them to work effectively?

13. I do Maths for more than 10 hours a week, not sure if it has harmed me! Might have to get a couple of colleagues to check what they think!

14. We were advised that hour long lessons were too long for our students to concentrate so we went to 50 minute lessons. This year however, we've got lots of double lessons [​IMG]

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have taught doubles in several different formats. I find that the best approach depends on the ability of the students. With bottom sets I have covered a totally different topic in the second lesson of a double - that was when we did all of the shape work.
    The 10 hours a weeks sounds very intense. Does that include supervised personal study?

16. My reaction would be that I wouldn't like it. I have no evidence as to the benefits or drawbacks of this so must keep an open mind I suppose. I do think it would need very careful planning by the teacher to avoid the second half of the lesson being wasted. I could see teachers and pupils wilting as the lesson progressed. Hope it isn't just a way to ease the timetablers problems or to give a stick to beat the poor HoD with if results don't improve.

17. It is for me!! [​IMG]