1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

irritating t.a

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by soa10jf, Dec 6, 2018.

1. soa10jf

soa10jf New commenter

Teach year 5, currently have a 'new to teaching' TA who is the same age as one of my parents and very inappropriate with comments/jokes.
    We work in a religious school, I'm not a practising religious person and neither is the TA.
    However...
    During our compulsory R.E lessons the TA will often make disparaging comments to the students while they do their work. Also interrupts me during the input with 'jokes' to me and the class about the subject matter of the lesson. They have already offended some practising people within school but nothing has been said.
    I'm not religious but I'm supportive of the ethos of the school and carry out my duties with diligence. However, the comments been said by my TA are either going to get them into trouble or myself when one of the children go home and repeat Mrs/Mr ********'s take on the bible to their parents.
    I've mentioned before that certain things shouldn't be said in front of the children but this has fallen on deaf ears.
    The head also loves this person as a recent addition to the school. (I'm yet to see any impact said assistant has).
    Jokes about religion are just one of the many topics covered in the staffroom by this individual, we've had their regular views on Brexit, other religions and equality.
    Basically think Daily Mail levels...
    Don't know what to do other than just exploding one day and telling them to shut up.
    I'm not religious or a prude, just want to go to work - do what I'm told to and listen to appropriate jokes from humble, nice people/
    Rant over. + help in getting person to shut up! ?!?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Who is RE co-ordinator?
    Deputy Head?

Actually I'd just go to the HT. You don't have to be critical. Make out that you're only interested in this person succeeding and that you've had a quiet word but you don't have the authority of the HT and you just know the HT will be much more diplomatic about this than you can be. She's such a valuable addition to the school that you wouldn't want the odd misplaced comment to cause a problem for her!

Pomza, mothorchid, janerain72 and 9 others like this.
  3. CWadd

CWadd Senior commenter

The HT loves them?

Simple. When a parent rings up complaining, direct them to the HT. They might stop loving them pretty quickly when the backlash begins.

In the classroom - broken record technique. Keep telling them it's not appropriate. Not to mention if the comments about religion/ethnicity are offensive, can be considered a hate crime.

mothorchid, bonxie, pepper5 and 4 others like this.
  4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

On the one absolute extreme, maybe you are being a bit of a humourless corporate drone. On the balance of probabilities from the thread, maybe they are being politically incorrect. If so, you need to go to the HT to protect yourself as well as you say in the thread, quoting examples. However, be aware that your TA may not be happy you have gone to the Head, even if it is in a way in their own best interests also.

In the staff room I think you have to accept people can express views more freely than in a classroom, however if it really is Daily Mail level I suspect someone else may yell at them to shut it soon!

pepper5 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. CWadd

CWadd Senior commenter

The OP and TA work in a religious school. If the TA feels the need to denigrate that in the classroom, perhaps she should find another job. Anyone who works in a school with a religious ethos doesn't have to practise it, but respect that it has it. From the post, the TA does not- that's a problem.

Pomza, chelsea2, FollyFairy and 5 others like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Do you mean the same age as either your mum or your dad, yet coyly hedging telling us conclusively which one?
    Or do you mean out of approximately 60 different parents of the children whom you teach, one of them is the same age as this person?
    Which? This detail, if properly given, could well be pivotal in allowing us to provide pertinent advice!

Is this the same person about whom you posted in July? In which post it was said "Ah, you already posted this but it was removed?" If so,this is presumably an irritation of peaks and troughs.

7. bonxie

bonxie Established commenter

Anyone making jokes in a lesson while you are trying to teach is going to be distracting to both you and your pupils. Each time it happens, remind them that it is not appropriate.

5605 likes this.
  8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think you need to tell them that they are there to support learning not as ' stand up ' . Contributions which do not impact on this are not welcome / appropriate ..... You should have a school policy on deployment on TAs - refer to this and / or TA standards ? Remind them that they are there in a professional capacity ( PM targets ) and paid accordingly. Be firm and fair as you would be with your children.

bonxie and magic surf bus like this.
  9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The 'A' in TA stands for Assistant. You're in charge, you're responsible for what goes and what doesn't go in your classroom, as long as it fits within school policy. Age is a non-issue. Remind them of this, bluntly if necessary, and if they don't like it they can go bleating to the HT or The Daily Mail. If the TAs in your school have a separate line manager (SENCO?) speak with them about it.

As @minnie me says above, you are both there in a professional capacity - your TA isn't there to be down wid da kidz, which is a problem I occasionally encountered with one or two TAs in high school.

minnie me likes this.
  10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah yes I have known many a TA who had confused being ‘liked’ with being ‘effective ‘ . Important for you / SENCO to grasp nettles - you are just doing your job ?!

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  11. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Maybe give the kids a lesson on 'British values' and all that jazz. You could even ask her for her input. Maybe she could research exactly what British Values are and how they should be used in the classroom. Explain the importance of the kids knowing British Values and staff demonstrating them on an everyday basis. Once she understands this, you can pick her up every time that she doesn't display British values.

12. andorian

andorian New commenter

Is he the HT's dad, by any chance?

13. balletomane

balletomane New commenter

I had a similar experience when I was a support worker/TA in a children's mental health unit. Another support worker kept being jokey in lessons and trying to get the kids laughing with them instead of focusing on the work. At first I thought this was a misguided way of helping the patients to feel better, but then I realised that the staff member didn't like providing classroom support and was bored. I discovered this one evening on the ward, when young people were complaining about having to get up so early for lessons, and this support worker joined in to say how dull the teachers were and to helpfully suggest that the teachers needed to get a life. o_O Definitely speak to this person's line manager or the HT. That is what I did in the end, and I'm only sorry I waited so long to do it.

Flanks and sabrinakat like this.
  14. CWadd

CWadd Senior commenter

Post by @balletomane above reminds me of a TA at the first school I was in, who would tell kids it was "ok to dislike teachers, they're always moaning." Ignoring the fact that the moaning were legitimate comments about poor behaviour/effort. I complained. I know some take the view on here that TAs are above criticism, but nope, they're not.

15. install

install Star commenter

Your posting history reflects another ta issue in July 2018. Is this the same ta or a different one?

16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Simply explain to them what the problem is and ask them to stop.

A_Million_Posts likes this.