1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Irritated

Discussion in 'Personal' started by foxtail3, Feb 2, 2016.

1. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We have a sign in the window, from the police, stating that we don't buy or sell to anyone knocking on the door. Why do people think it's OK to ignore it.

Window cleaners, gardeners, electricians, all sorts of tradesmen just take no notice. Last week, someone put one of those make up catalogues through the door, for collection today. I never buy anything from them, so I left it on the hall table to put out today. Left it on the doorstep and an hour later, there was a knock on the door. Of course, it was for the catalogue which had disappeared since I put it there. He was very annoyed and equally annoyed that I didn't want to order anything.

Why do I feel bad? I didn't ask for it, didn't want it and am I unreasonable in being irritated. I know that people are trying to make a living, but it feels intrusive and I don't want to be made to feel guilty for not buying something I didn't want.

marlin, grumpydogwoman and wanet like this.
  2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

We got so fed up with one that my wife rang the company. Not happened since.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Don't get me started on Ringtons.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

When I lived in the city centre I used to ignore the doorbell unless I was expecting someone.

cissy3 likes this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Or me on the scammers who keep phoning, purporting to be from BT Technical Services.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Do not feel guilty. it drives me mad. I try to remember to put them out on the right day but they go in the bin if i forget or if they are not picked up.. And I was an Avon lady in 1979. I quite enjoyed doing that. I was a lonely young mum and it was quite fun walking round the area with the baby in the pram calling on people. But if you have said don't leave the catalogues they should do what they have been asked.

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I have always admired the approach certain companies, big and small, take on this issue.
    Their catalogues have a tick box on the wrapper and a statement saying something like "You weren't in to talk to so we have posted our catalogue. If you do not wish to have further contact from us please tick the relevant box and leave the catalogue out for collection on (whatever day). If the catalogue is not left out we will not contact you until you contact us"

It is usually called "presumed rejection" or similar.

If however a property does have a notice as described in the OP then there is no excuse for either calling or leaving a catalogue and frankly little point.
    The trouble is that many of those delivering such material aren't actually from the company concerned and are paid for the delivery (no of deliveries=amount paid) so it is in the interest of the deliverers to ignore such notices.

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It's a bit like the cold-calling. The practice is despicable but I feel very sorry for the people forced to do it because they need the job.

cissy3 likes this.
  9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, that's exactly it! I don't want them to do it, but I feel sorry because they have to. It is the phone calls that really irritate though. Yesterday was PPI, but I've lost count of the number of times my laptop has apparently got a virus.

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Change your phone number or screen the calls. Worth doing!

Re knocking on the door, some paving type "business" did this last week chez moi, despite a similar door notice to Foxtail's. He may have thought his white van with a logo would impress, but I know how easy it is to get a van logo (and a website of course). I barely opened the door and pointed to the sign. As I was shutting the door I heard "I can't read!". This utterance did not surprise me.

foxtail3 likes this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We never answer the landline unless it's a number we recognise, but yesterday, they rang my mobile, which I thought I had screened.

It was the fact that the the man was annoyed as much as anything? What right has he to be annoyed? I didn't want or ask for his flippin brochure.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

He has no right to be annoyed! None whatsoever. I don't blame you. I think I'd be more than irritated in your shoes. Downright cross. :mad:

cissy3 and wanet like this.
  13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

The charity bags annoy me. I've watched when a plain van appears and collects the left out bags, and then seen a sign written van for the charity concerned drive up and down with nothing to collect as the bags have been stolen. :mad:

14. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

I'm sick of repeated automated messages about window scrappage schemes. I press the assigned number to be removed from the list but lo and behold, a few days later I get the same message.

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I don't mind the bags and have had thank you cards from some, but I wish they'd co-ordinate a bit. They're like buses- none for ages, then three at once.

16. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Useful as bin-liners, charity bags.

wanet likes this.