1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Irresistible Learning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sodenelj, Apr 12, 2012.

1. The school I work in, is changing the way they teach lower school. They are trialling it for the whole school. They are bringing in Numicon to help with teaching Maths. Has anyone else tried it? What do you think? Also the curriculum is now themed base - this term is the Rainforest does anyone else in a Primary School setting do this and how do you feel about it. Does it help the children learn better? We have also introduced Reading Journals - the children have to write a guided task regarding a book that they reading. Plus we are introducing IRRESISTIBLE LEARNING what is it? Has anyone else done it? What do you think about it?

2. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

Wow that sounds like a lot of change. In my experience, numicon has been used as a successful intervention programme, not sure how it would work for all children though.

We also have a creative curriculum, rainforest was our first topic and it was a huge success. Everyone really got on board and made it an enjoyable half term filled with learning. Since then none of the other topics have quite reached the same heights, it has settle bar which we have been trying to achieve again ever since.

Good luck with all of the changes!

3. we've just started introducing numicon in our school. In my opinion it is very good for children who have gaps in their learning for one reason or another. This is mainly because of the very detailed initial assessment which highlights exactly where the chn are struggling - rather than merely identifying a specific area of need. Also the fact that the program moves in very small steps so that teachers can really focus on need.
    I can't see that there would be any benefit to rolling it out across the school - more able children would certainly not benefit in my opinion. Having said that EYFS and year 1 might benefit across the ability ranges.

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I lurve numicon! I use it in my main teaching (Fab for odd & even numbers and the like) and then give it to my LA groups to support them in various tasks. They seem to enjoy using it too....