1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ironing therapy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rayondesoleil1976, Mar 6, 2016.

1. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

I find ironing therapeutic. I totally switch off. I stick something trashy on the TV or get the radio on and iron away. It also warms me up on a cold day... No I'm not going to do anyone else's ironing but just thought I'd say! I

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't mind ironing either - I catch up on stuff I've recorded or find something on Netflix. We never have very much anyway.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm the same. if I have time, which I do mostly these days, I find it quite satisfying. I think it makes me feel virtuous while not entailing bending. My back is rubbish despite all the Pilates and yoga (maybe there's a clue there).

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I'd love to agree with this, but nah!

bombaysapphire and Lascarina like this.
  5. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I thought this was going to be a self-help thread, about getting over one's aversion to ironing. :p

cissy3, ScotSEN and lindenlea like this.
  6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I find not ironing therapeutic.

cissy3, ScotSEN and colpee like this.
  7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I like making the crumpled stuff look smooth and neat. I also use scented ironing water so it smells nice. We don't have a tumble drier, if you do I think you can get away without ironing a lot of things.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I didn't know ironing water was a thing.

We have a water softener and a tap in the utility cupboard for using in the iron. Must investigate scented though- or can I just bunt a few drops of perfume in? Quite fancy Limw, Basil and Mandarin.

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No I avoid ironing at all costs. Just when I absolutely need to

Motherofchikkins, cissy3 and ScotSEN like this.
  10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's in Sainsbury's near the fabric softener - about £1 a bottle. At the moment I'm using Orange and Pomegranate.

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

That'll be why I don't know of it. It's certainly not in Lidl.

12. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We use the excess water from the condenser tumble dryer. The water smells of the conditioner used and it is free.

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Don't the clothes attract the flies?

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It cost me a lot of money over expensive, burnt, female garments before I could leave ironing behind.

rayondesoleil1976 likes this.
  15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not that I've noticed although I do have a bright yellow top that attracts insects.

Lascarina likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Did 10 shirts and 6 t-shirts today... not 100% sure it was therapeutic but wife and I watched The Wolverine while I did it. Which was nice.

17. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Ironing and therapeutic in the same sentence - I think not! Can't quite match my daughter & son-in-law though! They don't have an iron!

Motherofchikkins and cissy3 like this.
  18. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I think my problem is that I think ironing is a man's work. Honestly! When I was a kid my dad used to do the ironing on a Saturday afternoon while he watched the wrestling on the telly. I think this was quite unusual for 1960's working class Glasgow.

It's not my fault I was brought up untrained ;)

marlin, cissy3 and ScotSEN like this.
  19. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I iron as little as possible but, occasionally, if caught up in a radio play for example, I have been known to iron anything that stands still long enough.....

ScotSEN likes this.
  20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

After my grandson was born, I stayed with my daughter for a bit to 'help.' Couldn't find the vacuum cleaner anywhere and there didn't appear to be a duster in the house either. OK, ironing then! There certainly was an iron. Where it fell down was that the ironing board was exactly that- a board with no legs! Certainly made ironing pretty tricky!