1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

''Ironing'' spreading in the UK

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 26, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Husband just read this out to me. Made him wonder if there is anything we do, or used to do, with our children, which will look so barbaric and senseless in years to come.

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Non-medical circumcision.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I read this morning and was shocked. I had never heard of this at all.

Weald56 and catmother like this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

They do it to make their girls look pre-pubescent. It's a defence against their being abducted and raped. They use binding quite widely too.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

So the girls suffer because men can't be controlled.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I opened the thread thinking it was about a new trend and young trendies were rediscovering ironing and going on about it on Instagram!

However,it was another horrific crimes against women that I was not aware of. Shocking.

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Is there no limit to the stupidity of humans?

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Giving them mobile phones?

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well it was said they do it as a defence against abduction and rape.
    Your response logically implies that the defence is effective.

It needs to be said that this sort of practise is administered by females to females, the former frequently being the most senior members in that family or extended concept of family.
    Not so long ago I was in conversation at a parents evening with some more senior ladies from a Ugandan family who mentioned this practice, albeit obliquely. The fact that the cosmetic mutilation of the sexual organs (including but not only genitals and breasts) of their younger family members is so rigidly adhered to and administered by the senior ladies in a family made me think that this tradition is as much in the hands of these ladies as it is in the hands of any potential male perpetrators.

It really is not clear cut enough to ascribe this sort of mutilation to men, when the females who undergo it are frequently known to "run away" or "disappear" when their ironing is due. Why? Because they are scared of the older ladies who do it to them.
    It is too complex a scenario to relate this to gender domination, which is possibly too much of a paradox for many people to entertain. It does not make sense to blame women for hurting women, does it?

For me, this is way more of a generational issue than it is a gender issue.

11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Is there an elephant in this room?

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

This and FGM are complex issues to unpack. It is to do with power I think.

Dragonlady30 and Weald56 like this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not at all. I don't know whether it is effective or not. Yes, it is inflicted by older women and that is why they say they do it, I suspect it is similar with FGM. But these older women apparently think it's easier to multilate their daughters than to educate their sons to respect women.

Aquamarina1234 and sbkrobson like this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

This practice is despicable yet schools in the UK allow girls to bind their breasts using equipment which can damage tissue, cause breathing problems, skeletal damage and lung injury.

15. Aquamarina1234

UK schools? Which ones?
    No point here.

16. Vince_Ulam

As you know, we are not allowed to name particular schools.

17. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Just when you think you can't be shocked anymore.
    Humans can be so cruel.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Has it anything to do with gender fluidity?

19. Vince_Ulam

"Ironing" or binding?

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The increase in ironing.

Oscillatingass likes this.