1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Iron Man audio book

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Shell02, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Shell02

Shell02 New commenter

Hi,
    I am planning literacy for six weeks focusing on Iron Man by Ted Hughes. I have access to lots of fantastic resources on TES but need to plan for a visually impaired child not in my class. Amazon have the audio book by £45.00. Has anyone any ideas? Tried RNIB but with no luck, Faber & Faber, Waterstones & Penguin.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Why not get the other children to 'read and tape it'? Reading will be good practice them and then you will have an audio file for the child.

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Paired reading- another child reads aloud
    whole class reading - teacher reads aloud - pupils read aloud
    use talk time cards to record extracts

Good luck

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask the class teacher what the child usually does when reading in class? What do they do for worksheets and the like? Sometimes a large print edition is enough, sometimes photocopying on coloured paper. Sometimes a TA to read aloud, sometimes a learning partner.
    Find out what usually happens before you spend a whole heap of time and money.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends on how visually impaired but I had an albino child a few years back and we photocopied at 400% on A3 paper for her. Took quite a while to work out the best size for her and us to fit the text into readable chunks.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Exactly this!

7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter