1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Irlens -what is it please?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by boatmanco, Sep 14, 2011.

1. boatmanco

boatmanco New commenter

Hello
    Can anyone tell me what Irlens is please?
    Thanks

2. boatmanco

boatmanco New commenter

Hello
    Can anyone tell me what Irlens is please?
    Thanks

3. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Do you mean Irlen Syndrome? (Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome)
    If so it is a condition that affects visual perception, the way in which the brain processes visual information. The way in which the brain processes the full spectrum of light is affected and can result in distortions in the environment and on the printed page, tiredness, headaches, poor concentration, thus can result in slow learning, reading and writing difficulties.
    It is helped by screening the individual and offering coloured overlays and/or glasses.
    I am a certified Irlen screener, so any more questions, please ask.

4. One of the symptoms of Scotopic Sensitivity (Irlen Syndrome) is text distortion when reading, so the words move. Sometimes this can be quite siginificant; they literally jump about or swirl around. Reducing the high contrast between black text on white background helps. Photocopy onto colourd paper - even cream helps. The best colour varies between individuals. Crossbow Education produce useful coloured overlays. The student can choose the colour which suits them.
    Hope this helps.