1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Iritis

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Dunteachin, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Does anyone else suffer from this? It's a very annoying, intermittent inflammation of the iris which requires immediate treatment with steroid drops and visits to the hospital eye clinic.
    It is linked to an auto-immune disease I have, Crohn's, and in the 20 odd years I have been suffering from it, I have only ever met one other sufferer amongst acquaintances.

2. I know of a couple of sufferers. PM if you want. [​IMG]

3. I had a particularly nasty bout of this 9 years ago. I've had intermittent little episodes that haven't really caused any problems but I hate, hate, hate having to put the drops in my eyes. I'm not overly keen on the red eyeball look either! I was told that mine was due to a supressed immune system too, although mine's a thyroid problem.
    I hadn't heard of it before I got it and you are the only other person I've encountered who's got it/had it too. Obviously quite rare.
    Does it affect your vision? When I had it 9 years ago I was almost completely blind in that eye for nearly 2 weeks.

4. Dunteachin

Greetings, fellow sufferers! Hooray, people who understand!
    When I first encountered this, around 20 years ago, the GP thought it was conjunctivitis. By the time I was referred to the eye clinic, it had got a real grip and I ended up taking two weeks off work, I was in such a state. Bright red eye, constant ache, had to wear dark glasses and even daylight caused pain, steroid drops every hour, loss of vision in that eye and daily trips to the hospital to have the pressures checked. Not to mention the worst bit: having your pupil dilated so widely that people recoil in horror. You can imagine this at school, can't you? I have a nice selection of tinted sunglasses for such occasions.
    However, over the years, there have been variations on this theme. Sometimes the left eye, sometimes the right, occasionally both at the same time!
    The symptoms have become much milder and I can spot the signs immediately, so I always have steroid drops handy and self-medicate until I can get to the eye clinic, usually the same day. I never go abroad without them. In fact, it appeared on the cross channel ferry this summer, thus blighting the holiday somewhat,'cos I couldn't decide whether it merited a trip to a French hospital or not. It subsided quickly.
    The worst was when I didn't put the dilating drops in frequently- I hate looking like that- and the iris stuck to the pupil and I had to have an injection in my eye to unstick them.
    The flare-ups seem to happen when I relax. I can see one happening over half-term. Must stock up on drops!

5. Arrrgggh! That just made me shudder.
    Sounds like I've been lucky enough to get away with it very mildly in the grand scheme of things.

6. Hey there - I am currently suffering with this. What a pain it is! Currently typing this with my bad eye half closed. I first got iritis about 5 years ago and, as a previous poster has said, my doc thought it was conjuctivitis and gave me the usual drops. I still remember being in the supermarket 2 days later and my wife looking at me and saying"My god your pupil in your red eye is nearly disappearing." Trip to hospital confirmed iritis. I now have it again.
    What is really frustating about it is not just that your eye is red and extremely painful( this current bout I have is also making me very light sensitive) it is the ridiculous medication you get given. Two sets of drops, one to be taken every hour for the first few days and of course the pupil dilator which gives you the look of a maniac who has been up all night using chemically enhancing substances! The eye ointment every night as well just tops it off. Not to mention the £22 prescription charge it all costs.

In my last bout I went in to work after a day but this time, because the pain and the light sensitivity is much worse, I am staying off until I am happy I can teach properly. I may have to dig out my pirate fancy dress patch if it doesn't clear up! I asked the doctor at the hospital about causes and she said that iritis is a bit of a mystery. It has links to chronic conditions like Crohns or UC like the OP, it can be linked to tiredness and extra stress (what a surprise!) but in a lot of cases there is no known cause and is just one of those things that some people are prone to getting.Symapthy to anyone who has/gets this.

7. Dunteachin

You poor thing! You have read my previous posts, so you know I'm so sympathetic. At least your last bout was five years ago. I get them at least once a year and have done for the last twenty! Fortunately, I can spot the symptoms really early now, before they get a grip and the eye clinic is just around the corner.
    Hope it all gets better soon.