1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Irish trained teacher completing their NQT year in England

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jamie_forde94, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Hi There,

Hopefully somebody can shine some light as to what I am to do next regarding my teaching status.

So I completed my undergraduate course in the University of Limerick, which was a concurrent teaching degree. In September 2015 I registered with the Irish Teaching Council and came to England to teach in London. Throughout my NQT year, I completed the NQT report but was always told to leave the "DfE/teacher reference number" blank by my NQT mentor. However I have not heard anything regarding this number since and now need it in order to access my pension scheme.

I suppose my question is, how do I get my DfE number?

I have been told that if I contact the appropriate body in England, they can give me it. But also told that I need to prove to the Irish Teaching Council that I have completed my NQT year. If there is anyone out there that can help I would be very grateful

Many Thanks

2. Teaching_Tricks

Teaching_Tricks Occasional commenter

Hi Jamie,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but... It is possible that you don't yet have QTS, hence no DfE number... I know that the Irish system is different to the UK and that you need to complete a probation year before you can get QTS... I have supported an NQT who needed to complete an additional year before getting QTS, they went through the standard NQT year and we corresponded with the Irish Teaching Council via our awarding body to confirm this. In theory the NQT year can be the probationary year... But I am not totally up to speed with this at the moment as it was a few years ago.

I would suggest that you contact the Irish Teaching Council and explain the situation to see if you can get registered (fully or conditional - this will tell you if you need to complete another year to get QTS.) If you haven't completed ITT and a probation year you can't apply for QTS in the UK and you need to complete a probation year to do this... (Fully registered=QTS, Conditional registration=No QTS)
    The difference is on a UK course you get QTS at the end of it without the need for a probation year.

This is a really handy document (from Kent council...) but you should be able to work through it just replacing Kent Council with your current school (where you completed your NQT year (and their appropriate/awarding body)
    http://www.kent-teach.com/Documents/Republic of Ireland Teachers - guidance for schools 141212.pdf

This website should also help you https://www.gov.uk/guidance/qualified-teacher-status-qts

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You can use the experience in England to complete the registration requirement for the Irish Teaching Council and once you hare fully recognised in Ireland you can claim QTS as a European Teacher from The DfE
    You will need a form completed by the school and appropriate body to confirm the one year needed by the Irish Council post qualification.