1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Irish trained Primary teacher-prospects in London?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by -cadburys, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Hi there:)
    I'm new to this website. I'm looking on advice on how to go about applyiing for teaching positions in the UK.
    Call into school with CV?
    Where are most jobs listed also?
    Any advice or information appreciated!

2. Hi there:)
    I'm new to this website. I'm looking on advice on how to go about applyiing for teaching positions in the UK.
    Call into school with CV?
    Where are most jobs listed also?
    Any advice or information appreciated!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there and welcome to the site!
    London has more vacancies than anywhere else, so you will be luckier there. Here's the advice
    1) Open the Welcome thread and read the clickables, especially the FAQ and the 2 shortlisting clickables. This will explain the application system here, which may not be the same as in R.I. It is really important to produce a sparklingly good application as there is a lot of competition. That's why we run the Weekend Workshops on Get That Teaching Job.
    2) Check that you are eligible for QTS by looking at the site http://www.gtce.org.uk/registration/obtaining_qts/ Without QTS you cannot teach in a maintained school over here, so apply asap
    3) The TES is the main source. Buy the paper on a Friday - in fact best to take out a subscription, as you will need to read it regularly to get up to speed with English ed system. Search for jobs here on the website.
    4) Also look at Borough Council websites. Choose a Borough and then google teacher recruitment. Here's an example when I did Wandsworth teacher recruitment http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/337/job_vacancies/38/teacher_recruitment/6
    5) CVs are not used in maintained schools. And if you turn up, they will just tell you to look for when a job is advertised - they must go through the proper procedures.
    Best wishes!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Hi Theo,

Thank you for reply:)

Main thing I'm worried about is QTS, I am fully qualified since 2009, taught abroad since then.

I applied to the GTC (UK) in 2009 for QTS but they said it was pending probation in Ireland (Induction year)

I'm wondering if I could complete this in the UK, and teach there indefinitely..

Thanks for any info!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm no expert on this - you need to ask the expert on the NQT Forum.
    Best of luck
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!