1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Irish teacher with QTS for England.... need some advice!

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by aimsroe, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hiya,
    I'm from Ireland and I teach in England. I trained over here and have worked here for a good few years. I may be able to help you with your questions:
    1.) It is quite difficult to get a permanent post in England at the moment. Your best chance is to get your foot in the door with a long-term supply or maternity leave and then apply for a job at the school as it come up. English is my subject area and there is a lot of competition. You have to remember that you will be up against lots of British people with experience of the English curriculum. Getting a religion job might be easier. One thing is for sure, you need to start reading up on the English curriculum so that you understand the key stages.
    2.) If you already have QTS and have no induction period to go through, then you will not have to do a lesson plan for every lesson. Obviously, you will have to do one for any lesson you're observed in and observations happen a lot more in the UK. You will be appraised every year by your head of department, you may have a departmental review or OFSTED might be visiting the school. You do need to plan carefully however, in your teaching planner, even if you don't have detailed lesson plan. The teaching load is very heavy in the UK and you will need to plan carefully in order to remember everything you've got to do and homework days etc...
    3.) I teach 21 hours a week. On Monday I have three hours and on Tuesday I have six so you will find you have full days and days where you have more frees. Different schools have different attitudes to being off site. In the school that I'm in now, as long as you sign out, they don't have a problem with you nipping to tesco in your free. However, in a previous school, they took a very dim view of this kind of thing and it was not encouraged at all. You are expected to do things like banking and shopping in your own time as well as appointments. It is different to Ireland. You are expected to be at school from eight in the morning up until half four or five.
    4.) It depends. It really is up to the management. The school may decide to do a departmental review or you may be appraised. Normally, it is only teachers who are doing QTS or NQT year who have observations every week. One thing that is true though, is that management in England 'interfere' a lot more in what their staff are doing. In Ireland, you are trusted to get on with things. In England, you will find people 'walking in' to classes or looking through the window etc... to check up on you. It's grating but you get used to it.
    5.) I'm not sure what the answer to this is. At the moment, schools are really trying to save money. They are even taking on untrained teachers (cover supervisors) so that they can get away with not paying a teacher's wage. I'm sure you can start on a decent enough wage but I don't think you can really start to negotiate about money until you have some English experience.

2. Hi,
    I am from Ireland too and have been teaching in England for 2 years. As soon as I moved over here I got a permanent position which I decided to leave after 1 year and then I got another permanent position (both in south east London/Kent area). Although I do not teach English, I have friends who do and they had no problem finding a position having no UK experience.
    There definitely is more paperwork in terms of reports and student monitoring etc but hardly any schools would want you to produce a lesson plan for each lesson. Although you do need one for yourself because in general kids in the UK need to be kept busy...they won't give you time to be sorting yourself out or thinking what to do next in the lesson .
    Some schools work on a one week timetable and some on a two week timetable. I'm teaching 22 hours a week I think. Most schools I know of do not allow teachers off site during the day and you can't really leave when the bell goes at the end of the day!! Most teachers are in school until 5pm.
    Some schools have informal induction years for new teachers where the head of department would observe them 3-4 times. OFSTED also do inspections on schools.
    Most teachers start on point 1 but again it differs from school to school. Any experience should start you off higher up the scale.
    Just a few words of advice. I have found that sixth form colleges are really good places to work as students are more serious about their studies than some secondary schools. You will learn alot in a short space of time teaching in the UK so be prepared t oput in some hard work especially at the start. Also be prepared to learn lots of new acronyms!!