1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Irish Teacher seeking employment in Essex

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by emmahunt4, Nov 10, 2015.

1. emmahunt4

emmahunt4 New commenter

Dear Theo,

My name is Emma and I am an Irish Primary School Teacher. I graduated with a B.Ed in 2013 and I worked for 2 years as a substitute teacher. Unfortunately I fell while teaching Irish Dancing last May and seriously injured my ankle and I haven't been able to work since. I had my surgery last week and I will be able to return to work in January. It is very difficult to get work as a teacher in Ireland so I am interested in moving to the UK to gain experience. I have relations in Braintree in Essex so I would be looking for work in that area. I am just wondering what I need to know with regard to applying for jobs in the UK. I have not completed my induction so are there only specific jobs I can apply for? What does the application process entail? In Ireland we have to have a CV and an application form and a letter of application as well as referees. I would really appreciate any information you can give me.

Kind Regards,
    Emma

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Hi Emma,

Irish teachers can use their teaching experience in England to contribute towards the full registration process needed for the Irish Teaching council. You are employed as a teacher and just follow the induction programme the same as any NQT. At the end of the period you need a form/letter from the school and from the Local Authority which is then sent to the Irish Council- the details are all on their website.
    Once you have gained full registration then you apply to the NCTL in England for QTS acknowledgement - under EEC recognition arrangements.
    I live in Essex- close to Braintree - so if you want to contact me directly via this website I can provide further information.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you @welshwizard , that's very helpful!

So you would be applying as a NQT, @emmahunt4 , just like a UK graduate, for your induction year over here.

Best wishes

4. emmahunt4

emmahunt4 New commenter

Thank you for all your help.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)