1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Irish teacher applying for jobs in England

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MarionMcGowan, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Hi,
    First time poster so please be nice :)
    Im a qualified teacher of maths and history in Ireland. Although I have very good qualifications, I haven't been able to get work in the secondary sector since graduating. I worked in the adult education sector last year but I haven't been able to secure any work this year. Im planning to move to the south east of England in the next few months.
    I was hoping to get some advice on applying to jobs in England. Is it appropriate to call up schools to arrange meeting or just hand in CV when a job hasnt been advertised? How long should a cover letter and CV be? Is there anything that will make my employment gap look more positive to prospective employers?
    These must seem like very basic questions but really... I havent got a clue. I was trying to find syllabi for Key Stages 3, 4 and 5 (Maths) without much luck, can anyone point me in the right direction? I really want to do my research and have a good understanding of the the curriculum before I begin applying for jobs. Any advice or suggestions you can offer would be really appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

We are a nice civilised, supportive Forum here, no nasty cracks at people, so don't worry!
    Tip for next time: If you're going to ask more than 1 question, number'em, to save having to copy them all out to answer. Thanks!
    No and no.
    If you call at a school, no-one will have time to see you. Handing in a CV is no good either - the job of the secretary is to ensure that the Head doesn't get bothered with those things.
    A CV should not be sent at all for employment in maintained schools in England and Wales - it's a no-no.
    Details on how to write an application are all here on this Forum - see below.
    There is a lot of unemployment for teachers in UK too, so they should understand. But filling your time with voluntary work clearly looks better than nothing.
    The specifications (we don't call them syllabuses any more) are easily found if you google! I just put in National Curriculum KS3 Maths and got this:
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/secondary
    For GCSE and A-level specific Awarding Bodies need to be googled. Try Edexcel, OCR, AQA.
    What a weird combination! Sorry, but in England and Wales this is definitely extremeley unusual! Maths teachers are generally hard to get, History teachers are in over-supply. Your best bet is to apply for Maths posts and add that you can be flexible and also teach History, and if you see a History post, apply for that and add that you are flexible and can also teach Maths.
    Here's the Big Question,
    Does this mean that you have not completed an induction year? Does this first year exist in Eire? If so, and you haven't done it, you will need to do one here, and tell the school that you are applying for a NQT induction.
    Now read this for tips on how to produce an application for schools in England and Wales:
    Dear Theo I need help!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As you've found,Theo is extremely knowledgeable and understanding.
    Just one question you might like to consider;would you consider relocating anywhere in the UK just to get a job? If the answer is yes you have opened up a lot more possibilities than just looking in one area. Theo is correct and there's a surplus os teachers for posts at present. People like myself, who are tied to a particular area by family responsibilities will be applying for any vacancy that occurs and competition is always fierce these days, so the larger your field of opportinity the greater your chance of success
    Best of luck with the job search!

4. Theo, you're brilliant. Thanks so much for having the patience to answer all my basic questions and even some questions I didnt think to ask.
    There is no formal induction year in Ireland but there is a probationary period, that requires NQTs to complete 300 hours work experience. As I havent gotten close to the required hours, I believe I will be applying to English schools as a NQT. I emailed the GTCE to doublecheck this. Hoping to hear back from them tomorrow.
    Its the exact same in Ireland but they're the subjects I loved and ended up studying in college. I really enjoy teaching maths and I understand that that's where the jobs are. So I would be willing to teach maths exclusively and be available for any history hours that may arise.
    Thanks again for all your help.

5. Hi TheoGriff,
    I am a 1st time Forum user and am delghted that this website exists.
    My siutation is similar to Marion as I am hoping to move to England (liverpool) to teach.
    My situation a bit different in that I am qualified since 1993 with the Higher Diploma in Education.
    I am a qualified teacher of French & History. I have had varied career as I have been teaching in
    Brussels to improve my French & then returned to Ireland where I
    worked on a part-time basis for over 4 years.
    I changed careers due to lack of employment in teaching and gained experience in IT.

I also have a Teachers Diploma in IT.

For
    the last 10 years I have been an Intructor in a Training Centre for the
    equivalent of your NHS. I work with Adults with Psychiatric Disabilities & Special Needs. I teach/instruct IT, Numeracy & Literacy,
    Social Skills, Communications, Health Promotion & Soccer Coaching.
    My questions are:
    1. Can one be fortunate enogh to get a job (depending on availability) from applying from here (ireland) online?2. Is it better to go to Liverpool firstly & gain experience as a supply teacher to get to know the system?
    3. a. Does my long absence from mainstream teaching affect my chances for a job? I am hoping that my varied experience will be an advantage. 3. b. Do schools in England look just at 1 subject of a variety of subjects/expeiences. (this could be the same question twice.
    4. Are there any extra requirements needed to go with application?5. Is there a lack of Foreign Lanuage Teachers in England?
    Any information would be greaty appreciated.
    Thank you